Broadband Modem query

Fisherman

Does the Modem used with a fiberoptic line differ from a modem used with the standard copper telephone line ?

Short answer - Yes

If you mean the Eircom e-Fibre to the cabinet, then the Line Terminal unit inside the house is different and you need a new modem.
If you mean fiberoptic to the House, then that's a different terminal unit as well and a different modem again

Some of the newer modems will do both (efibre and DSL), but if you have an old one then it probably wont.

Can someone suggest a good modem for fibre broadband? I am currently using Vodafone's modem but this one (and 2 other Vodafone modems I've had before switching over) tend to drop connections a lot so I'm looking for something more reliable as well as having a backup. I was using TP-Link N600 but I don't think this is compatible with Fibre? I'm not in the slightest bit techy so would appreciate any advice.

When you say efibre I presume you mean VDSL, ie high speed broadband over the copper network? When you say the connections drop do you mean that the dsl connection drops according to the modem, or do you mean your computer can't connect to the internet? Are you using wifi or are you connected directly to the modem?

If you're still seeing dropped connections on your third modem, it's unlikely the fault lies with the modem.

I'm also not sure if Vodafone will reveal all the config parameters required to set up a modem they haven't provided, as supplying them pre-configured and locked down minimises support issues.

Be careful, if you use a vdsl2 modem that does not support vectoring you may be disconnected as it can cause problems for other users.