Broadband / Internet Access suggestions

J

johnr1234

I recently moved into a groundfloor apartment about 6 miles from Galway city. There is no phone line in the apartment. I have a laptop with a wireless modem and am wondering what is the best option for me to get connected to the Internet.
Broadband would be great but I do not think I have "Line of sight access".

I have NTL digital but I don't think the broadband facility is available where I am.

I was informed that 3G have some card that will allow internet access but do not know if it is any good.

Any suggestions?

you dont make it clear whether the local eircom exchange is broadband enabled , or did you check this out? Surely this would be an option ?

Local eircom exchange - no idea what that is mate.

I have a socket for a phone line and I just assumed that if Eirocm installed a phone line I could get them to hook up broadband also.

Local eircom exchange - no idea what that is mate.
See here. If the exchange is not ADSL enabled (by eircom or other operators who sometimes install their own equipment in eircom exchanges) then you most likely cannot get phone line based broadband.
I have a socket for a phone line and I just assumed that if Eirocm installed a phone line I could get them to hook up broadband also.
Not necessarily. eircom should allow you to do a basic check online to see if your line is broadband capable. However if this reports that it is then any broadband package will still be subject to a more detailed survey/check.