broadband help

yygaurav

Hi there

I am currently a UTV customer and last week Eircom guys came to my door and said that boradband is now available in this area (blah blah) so if you switch from UTV we will give you broadband.

Then I rang UTV and said that broadband seems to be available and he said that if eircom can provide broadband then we can also provide it. so I said fine and I ordered broadband with UTV.

Now i have got info from UTV and eircom has rejected my order saying that broadband is not available. So what should I do ? Can I complain about this to comreg ?

Please help

Thanks

Broadband is always available subject to a line survey/check. You could complain to ComReg or the companies involved but I doubt that it will do much good based on my own experience (documented elsewhere).

There seems to be sometimes a delay between broadband being available in an area and the specific lines being checked to see if they are suitable. So while there is broadband and you may be within the 3km (?right distance) limit of the exchange, unless an engineer actually tests your line for broadband, the database they use will show that your line is not broadband suitable.

Netsource used to have a site that showed the last date the line was actually tested, but that is no longer there now they are part of magnet. Does anyone know of a site that has the date of the last line check on it?

you could try eircoms site itself or possibly Digiweb or other providers with online realtime phoneline checks. They seem to be pretty accurate.
I check mine regularly as I am waiting for my local exchange to be enabled so I can get my broadband.

you could try eircoms site itself or possibly Digiweb or other providers with online realtime phoneline checks. They seem to be pretty accurate.
I check mine regularly as I am waiting for my local exchange to be enabled so I can get my broadband.
Yes, but they all check the same database - not sure what it is, but presume it is held by eircom.

I read on boards.ie somewhere that it typically takes 3-4 weeks after the exchange has been enabled for broadband before this magical database is updated.

I had the same thing happen when I got a new phoneline installed - the phone number I got had not been eligible, but it took a few weeks before the database was updated to show that it was my number and that it was eligible.

Back