Broadband Free Trials

C

cullenswood

Hi,

Currently have broadband with UTV and the trial period is nearly over. Stupid question but would it be possible for me to sign up with another provider and make use of their trial period??

Most or all packages preclude this - i.e. the trial is only offered to first time users of broadband. However I have heard anecdotal stories of people doing the rounds on the free trials albeit starting with eircom and working through them in some specific order. Some people might just chance their arm in applying for a second trial with another provider.

Take ClubMan's advice and chance your arm. I did when I was coming to the end of eircom's free trial and was going to move to utv. Don't like telling lies (since they usually come back to haunt us) but don't think I had to do that - just didn't tell them. You've nothing to loose, have you?

On the other hand it was suggested that to get a second free trial it might be best to start with eircom. My impression is that they are all desperate to get customers and in the end we'll have to sign up with one of them. I'm on a second eircom trial because they messed up my bill and I'd said I was moving to utv. Pure chance.

8)

I am thinking about a broadband trial but am moving house in about 4 months. ShoUld I wait until I move or avail of a free trial (or two) now?

GG

Will you be carrying your number/account with you to the new house? If not I'd be inclined to sign up for a free trial now and again in the new house since it will be a new number/account. Whatever about chancing your arm as above having a new line which was never ADSL enabled is all they are interested in when checking the Ts&Cs.

geegee - it is highly likely that you will be assigned a new accountnumber - go ahead with the trial - you've nutin' to lose

Free Trial(s)

Heard somewhere that they are strict about signing up second time arounders - reason being that Dermot Aherne's old dept, communications etc, give a grant to the telecom company as part of the incentive and are keen to ensure that a household is only grant-aided once.

Re: Free Trial(s)

Will you be carrying your number/account with you to the new house?

Yes, but I am thinking that even if I can't avail of another free trial when I move, I can always just sign up with whichever provider.

I have not gone into this before so which is the best broadband package? And what about calls? I make mostly national and local daytime calls. Is there a package available that anyone knows about that would suit this pattern?

Or, is it possible to have one provider for calls and one for broadband? I am currently with UTVIP XL (180hrs dial up for €24.95 pcm) which is a good value for net usage but expensive (I think) for the calls.

Re: Free Trial(s)

Heard somewhere that they are strict about signing up second time arounders - reason being that Dermot Aherne's old dept, communications etc, give a grant to the telecom company as part of the incentive and are keen to ensure that a household is only grant-aided once.

That's interesting. Hadn't heard that slant before.

Yes, but I am thinking that even if I can't avail of another free trial when I move, I can always just sign up with whichever provider.

Well then, if you need broadband, it makes sense to sign up for a free trial now cancel that before the trial ends and the 12 month contract starts and then apply for a new trial or 12 month contract when you move.

I have not gone into this before so which is the best broadband package? And what about calls? I make mostly national and local daytime calls. Is there a package available that anyone knows about that would suit this pattern?

Or, is it possible to have one provider for calls and one for broadband? I am currently with UTVIP XL (180hrs dial up for €24.95 pcm) which is a good value for net usage but expensive (I think) for the calls.

For details of broadband availability, pricing and user feedback see the links in . Some broadband providers require users to take their voice services or give a discount for doing so, others do not. It's very difficult to recommend a "best" telco for voice traffic never mind bundled voice and broadband.

A free broadband trial is obviously always going to be cheaper than any dial-up package, flat rate or pay as you go.

Back