Broadband free trial

joel

Hi,
I took Eircom Broadband trial & cancelled it recently since I am not impressed with it. Just wondering who else is giving free trail Just I need to try before I decide.

-Joel

If you are an NTL customer you can receive probably the best offer out there..

they have 1,2,or3mb connections and are giving you the first 3 months free, however this is not a trial but with free connection, free modem and then just €25 per month thereafter it will not be beaten..

Plus it is a cable modem internet so you get true speeds and there is only 17 per node as per Eircom/ESAT 48

I received a call from their broadband team cause I could get it, I couldn't from Eircom and the likes so I snapped up the chance..

Haven't looked back. i got the 3mb line for the first 3 months and moved to the 1mb when i had to start paying..

ThomasJ

joel said:
Hi,
I took Eircom Broadband trial & cancelled it recently since I am not impressed with it. Just wondering who else is giving free trail Just I need to try before I decide.

-Joel

Most of the free trials are contingent on the line not being broadband enabled/connected previously. So if you had eircom broadband, you would not be able to avail of the utv and BT (Ireland:) ) etc. offers. However there was a discussion on this site about how other telcos would be able to check that you had broadband previously or not.........

ThomasJ said:
If you are an NTL customer you can receive probably the best offer out there..

...Only if the service is available in your area.

They couldn't even tell me when (what quarter!) it would be available in mine.

Update: Emailed them again, 6 months after my original query, and got the same reponse:

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, your area is not yet capable of receiving this service at this time. ntl are also unable to provide a specific timescale as to when the network in your area will be upgraded in order to provide you with Broadband, however every effort is being made to make this service available to more and more customers. I trust this should resolve your query

I told them that this did not address my query but that I was going to sign up with another broadband supplier as I was not going to wait around.

I then got the following response:

Thank you for your e-mail. When the area is upgraded, customers will be notified by phone or by mail when this is available. While I do understand your frustration, we cannot give a timeframe as to when this is available. I am sorry to hear you will be joining another Broadband provider. I trust this should resolve your query.

CCOVICH said:
Most of the free trials are contingent on the line not being broadband enabled/connected previously. So if you had eircom broadband, you would not be able to avail of the utv and BT (Ireland:) ) etc. offers. However there was a discussion on this site about how other telcos would be able to check that you had broadband previously or not.........

Just to say that I used the Eircom free trial and ended it at the end of the three month period. Then realised how awful dial-up really was and after looking around, settled on UTV. I was able to avail of their 3 month free trial no questions asked.

So it is possible.

(Slightly OT but I notice that UTV Broadband has an advantage that it seems to fool the BBC website into thinking you are in the UK. Some of their content is only available to UK viewers yet I am able to see it. Must be because their IP address is in NI.)

Back