Broadband for apartment living

Magoo

Can anyone recommend a good broadband product for apartment living?

Anything requiring a rooftop aerial or antenna is naturally out? Also, given the location of existing phone sockets, I'd need something wireless.

I hear mixed reports about ripwave.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Can you use UTV/eircom/BT/SMART with a wireless router and network card?

CCOVICH

Thanks for your reply.

The NTL is provided by the landlord so I don't want to go messing with that.

The PC is a few years old and runs Windows 98. In my previous place, I used eircom broadband on the same PC using a wired router but given the current constraints on space, I'd like to go the wireless route.

Although Ripwave has received bad coverage, you generally hear it from people who have had problems. I know someone that has had a positive experience with it. Where are you located? AFAIK there is a cooling off period so you can opt out but I don't know how long it is. IBB have been going through an equipment upgrade for the past while so maybe things aren't as bad as they used to be.

NTL offer a broadband service in some areas of Dublin - perhaps you could split the difference with the landlord?

Have you considered running a phone line extension? It would give you a far wider range of options. How far is the computer from the phone socket?

Thanks folks.

The phone socket is in the hall and the PC is in the sitting/dining room and can't really be moved. To connect the two would require extending the lead around three door frames before going through the main sitting room door.

A simpler solution would be prefered.

We have Eircom Wireless for the laptop in our apartment. Makes such a difference space wise.