Broadband Connection - no space available !

creditworthy

Hi , Can I just ask if this makes sense in these modern times !
Recent connection made for Broadband only with a well known company . Following installation , the download speed is 6 !! When queried today they said that there was no port available in the cabinet on the street to do the "Fibre to cabinet / copper to the house connection so the connection is copper to both the cabinet and to the house ... if my explanation makes any sense .

I am baffled as to how if the cabinet is " full " of connections and there re none available to take a new connection along our street - how on earth does this make sense .

They said the only option was for them to contact ( can`t think of who ) to see if there were any ports coming up for availability in the cabinet - that seems totally prehistoric to me and I don`t get it at all ... basically have to wait for a slot to become available !!
I would just like to put it out there to see if that`s totally nonsense . Thank you .

Unlikely as it may seem, I believe that it can actually happen.

Whether you went to Eir, or one of the other providers (excl Virgin or Siro reseller), you are relying on Eir's infrastructure - which is, eh, not great.

If I were you, I would get onto whatever service provider your signed up with and tell them that you aren't paying for what's being offered and you want to be refunded, if you've already made a payment. That may get their attention and see if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Is the 6MB on WiFi or wired? Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible but worth to be clear on the test conditions, as they will ask you.

Hi , Can I just ask if this makes sense in these modern times !
Recent connection made for Broadband only with a well known company . Following installation , the download speed is 6 !! When queried today they said that there was no port available in the cabinet on the street to do the "Fibre to cabinet / copper to the house connection so the connection is copper to both the cabinet and to the house ... if my explanation makes any sense .

I am baffled as to how if the cabinet is " full " of connections and there re none available to take a new connection along our street - how on earth does this make sense .

They said the only option was for them to contact ( can`t think of who ) to see if there were any ports coming up for availability in the cabinet - that seems totally prehistoric to me and I don`t get it at all ... basically have to wait for a slot to become available !!
I would just like to put it out there to see if that`s totally nonsense . Thank you .
Something similar happend to me a number of years back. Built new house and requested broadband connection from EIR. Engineer told me that not enough capacity to service my house. After a bit of going back and forth Eir changed whatever connection they had to a house three doors up where a very elderly lady lived and did not need the service. 2007.

Is the 6MB on WiFi or wired? Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible but worth to be clear on the test conditions, as they will ask you.

The 6MB refers to the connection to the property, not the router performance.

There are a limited number of ports available in those cabinets. Unless they plan to upgrade the cabinet, you're relying on someone with a connection cancelling their service.

Thank you for all your help . Yes they phoned me back saying the same - have to wait until a slot becomes available . Might as well get out the carrier pigeon !!

Thank you for all your help . Yes they phoned me back saying the same - have to wait until a slot becomes available . Might as well get out the carrier pigeon !!

and what are you paying in the meantime? Hope you're not paying for a service that they can't provide!

The 6MB refers to the connection to the property, not the router performance.
Ok, but the OP said the 6MB was the download speed...how would one test that without hitting fast.com or similar website via a browser?

If the 6MB is all that's coming into the house, then the WiFi must be only around 1MB download speed?! Apologies if that's a stupid question.

Last edited:
Worth checking if SIRO have pulled fibre into your area, and also if/when Eir will be putting in fibre-to-the-home. Both are actively rolling out across the country at the moment and would overcome your issue. And of course if you have Virgin Media cable TV their broadband is excellent.

Last edited:
Ok, but the OP said the 6MB was the download speed...how would one test that without hitting fast.com or similar website via a browser?

If the 6MB is all that's coming into the house, then the WiFi must be only around 1MB download speed?! Apologies if that's a stupid question.

When people talk about the lines and cabinets, they're usually talking about the line capacity. The provider will specify the upper limit of what the line can support, in this case 6MB.

If you get 6MB to the house, WiFi should deliver very close to that when you're by the router. Distance from the router and obstacles in the way will determine what you get as you move away from it.

I very much doubt that the OP is getting 6MB, as everyone is assuming, remember all he said was:-
Following installation , the download speed is 6 !!
6 what ?

I would suspect, what he meant is, that he is getting 6Mb (megabits). Kinda slow in today's terms.
However a steady 6MB is perfectly usable even for Netflix UHD.

I very much doubt that the OP is getting 6MB, as everyone is assuming, remember all he said was:-

6 what ?

I would suspect, what he meant is, that he is getting 6Mb (megabits). Kinda slow in today's terms.
However a steady 6MB is perfectly usable even for Netflix UHD.
That's splitting hairs a bit now. Connection speeds are univerally referred to in megabits, which outside of IT is universally shortened to MB or Mb - incorrectly in the former case but we all know what is being talked about here...

That's splitting hairs a bit now. Connection speeds are univerally referred to in megabits, which outside of IT is universally shortened to MB or Mb - incorrectly in the former case but we all know what is being talked about here...
Not at all!
Massive difference between the two.
And as I said I suspect posters here were wrongly using MB as opposed to Mb.

Universally megabits is shortened to Mb and not as you suggest, either/or MB.

I find it is generally better when discussing anything of a technical nature to use the correct terminology to help avoid any misunderstanding or ambiguity.

Lets not derail the thread, I'm aware there's a significant difference. My point is just that there is no where a user will see a MB figure when referring to bandwidth and it's REALLY common for even IT people to type MB instead of Mb. So when somebody says they've got a 6MB connection they don't mean megabytes, they mean megabits.

If we're going to be pedantic however, Mb or MB are wrong in this case as they refer to a quantum of data, not speed of transfer. Connections are generally Mbps or Mb/s.

Lets not derail the thread, I'm aware there's a significant difference.

I agree, but then you follow on with:-

If we're going to be pedantic however, Mb or MB are wrong in this case as they refer to a quantum of data, not speed of transfer. Connections are generally Mbps or Mb/s.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with pedantry. It is vitally important, especially in the written word, that we are all 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.
When speaking with someone we will use the words ' I have a 60 meg service' or suchlike and we all know what they mean.
However when written and some one is peeved with something and just says 'all I'm getting is 6' then it is VERY important to differentiate between
megaBYTES and megaBITS. We don't even know what the OP has paid for and maybe 6Mb(ps) will suffice. I strongly suspect that most people would be happy with 6MB(ps) speeds.
Also it helps towards stopping something that I have seen many times over the years on forums, such as: " I went to buy a window 100 X 100 mm and they quoted €275, I think this is expensive? " Three pages later of many posts dis/agreeing and recommending such and such glaziers, the OP comes back and says:-
"Sorry, I meant CM and not MM".

Anyway I still think my post is valid, irrespective of your accusation of ME being pedantic. (per second....hmmm)

@creditworthy I suggest you get on to your provider and request that they actually send someone out to the cabinet to check for a free port. Eir's records are hopelessly out of date and very seldom, if ever, reflect the true state of affairs. I would lay money on it, that there is/are port(s) available.

Last edited:
Hi SparkRite
How would you know that Eir,s records are out of date ? . People do not have to go to a cabinet to know whether there are spare ports or not.
I do not think that it matters to the customer whether its Mb, MB, Bytes or Bits. When people say they are getting 6 it means its the download speed .

Last edited:
I had a similar problem this month in South Dublin. Supplier either said I went with their 4g router or cancelled the contract without charge and went to virgin. Since I changed to virgin it is a lot faster.

Speed test is 6 Mbps , I`m not a techie but neighbour ( who is connected via the famous cabinet ) is getting a speed of 21 Mbps . Company checked with line provider and said no slots available . Have learned a lot in the past day !! It would never have entered my head to ask a company about available slots etc , just always assumed it was a case of ask and it shall be connected .
Thank you all.

Back