Broadband breakeven point

S

sim

Excluding the obvious advantages of broadband speed etc has anyone bothered to work out after what point(amount of usage) broadband is a better deal than standard dial up charges. How much usage should I be doing for me to convince the wife I am actually saving money.
Also i see the smart telecom offer is 4times faster than Eircoms and there is an offer to first 100k subscribers. Whats the catch? I know there was bad publicity about Eircoms recent trial offer. Dont want to sign up and then have to go through the hassle of terminating if there is a catch.

It's not just the cost saving. I found that having broadband changed the way you used the web. No more watching the clock and opening the phone bill with a G&T in the other hand :)

As for Smart Telecom, the only apparent catches thrown up so far are that you have to move your telephony to them and you probably won't get the service for a while. By the sounds of things, there's no panic. Latest figures I've seen over on boards.ie suggest they haven't even hit 20,000 although Smart have been quoting 70,000+.

What part of the country are you living in?

Why not sign up for one of the two-three month no strings attached free trials and see how you get on with it. There really is no comparison between dial-up and even 512Kbps down/128Kbps broadband. If you work out how much you are spending on dial-up calls now and it approaches the Eur 30 or so a month that broadband costs then you should probably opt for broadband. See and the links contained therein for more on broadband trials, service offerings, pricing info, user feedback etc.

See for more discussion about Smart.

BB

I was spending around 80-90e every 2 months with eircom, c25e of that was dialup costs. About 10e was calls most of which was to mobiles anyway, the rest was rental. I went with NTL for broadband, and now have a flat 50e every 2 months.
I got rid of the landline, and now use the mobile for all calls except for long distance and then use either skype or babble, if the wife is prone to long conversations, babble is cheaper then eircom for local calls. Neither myself or mrs car miss the landline 4 months later.

Re: BB

I was spending around 80-90e every 2 months with eircom, c25e of that was dialup costs.

Do you mean c. Eur 25 p.m. on line rental?

I went with NTL for broadband, and now have a flat 50e every 2 months.
I got rid of the landline

Can you say where you're located? Unfortunately not everybody can ditch the landline and use cable broadband at the moment.

Re: BB

If you are at home during daytime rates, it becomes cost efficient very quickly

Back