Broadband and alarm monitoring

J

jake108

I've just been on the Perlico website and was about to sign up for their phone deal and broadband but when I read the faqs it said that broadband is not available if you have alarm monitoring. Is this the case with all companies? I wanted to go with Perlico as it's only 9.99 pm.

Yep, as far as I could see the only way of getting DSL broadband if you have a monitored alarm is to go with Eircom as they will come out and put a filter on your phone line to allow it to work.

Or you could use a non phone line broadband supplied like NTL (Cable) or Irishbroadband (Wireless)

We have a monitored alarm system (not Eircom).
We have broadband (not Eircom)

No problems once you use the supplied filters and leave broadband switched off when the alarm is on which, for us, is not an issue.

There are a number of threads about this on the board. I have the broadband through BT, and my alrm is with ADT. So far, I've had no problems.

We have Broadband and Phonewatch. We needed to get a splitter but have had no problems since. And the B'and has been on when the alarm has been on.

Thanks for all the info guys. Will check them all out.

Checked some of them out. Irishbroadband are no good as I'm in Laois. Imagine won't do it beacuse of the alarm monitoring. Don't really want to go with Eircom as they're.....I won't say! Anyway I'll keep looking.

HAve had the same problem - I have p/watch. Every provider seems to say the same thing about monitored alarms except of course eircom who want even more money for their mediocre service. If you find an easy solution please post it.

Re: Broadband and alarm monitoring - a definitive answer

Hi all,

I'd just like to give a definitive answer on this as I have had it done myself recently. You can have a monitored alarm and broadband, regardless of the companies involved. What needs to happen is this:

In the case of a monitored alarm, the alarm must have priority on the line and broadband can interfere with this and filters plugged into the phone socket are "too late" in the line as such. You will need to contact Eircom, who will fit a new socket plate on the wall. This plate will have two sockets - one for the broadband connection and one for the phone line (the filter is built into this plate). The engineer will make sure that the alarm is connected before filter, ensuring that the alarm system has priority.

And thats all there is to it. Yes, I know there is a charge, but if you've paid that much for and alarm, are about to pay at least an extra €20/month for broadband then 1 engineer callout isn't going to hurt that much. Yes, Eircom have to do it because it's their line, regardless of who you pay for your calls.

S.

Spock, just to respond to your post. I didn't say it couldn't be done, I just said I hadn't found anyone yet that will do it. I know Eircom do it but they charge around 100e for a engineer to sort out the line. I just don't want to give any more money to Eircom so I was hoping I could find someone else. To be honest it's not that important to me if I get it or not. Thanks for your reply.

No worries jake, I actually got my make (who works for the local alarm installers, but fit Eircom boxes as required) to do it for me. If you know someone/could slip someone a couple of crispy 20's it would save you the pain of going through Eircom....

I paid the money to Phonewatch and am sorted. I think it was 75 euro.

Thanks Spock. So any alarm installer can sort it? My alarm isn't phonewatch.

You surely can . If you're up to it you could even do it yourself (theres a thread on Boards.ie about it, with pictures and all).