British citizen moving to Ireland and bringing car

Brendan Burgess

Founder
A friend of mine is moving to Ireland to study in Trinity for about 4 years.

Presumably she should bring her car.
When does she need to register it?
I presume she would need to get the NCT done when the MOT expires.

If it's NCT'd in Ireland, is it valid in the UK?

Brendan

According to Revenue

"If you reside temporarily in the State primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies you may bring a foreign registered Category A vehicle (e.g. a saloon, estate, hatchback, convertible, coupé, MPV, Jeep, etc. a minibus (with less than 13 permanently fitted seats including the driver's seat)) or a motor-cycle into the State provided it is registered in the country of your normal residence. The same conditions mentioned in paragraph 2 above apply and the 12 month time limit will be extended until you have completed your course of studies."

I'm not sure how they would go about getting an MOT every year - apart from maybe driving over the border to get one?
The UK insurance may be a problem too with an Irish address and Irish companies probably won't insure a UK reg car. (Quinn seem to be less fussy about Uk/Irish addresses.)
Also - UK car tax would need renewing every year ? Not sure how that would work?

Perhaps she should call Revenue and just ask a general query on this, they can be helpful. Call Quinn and the motor tax off ice in the UK and Irish Rep too....