Bringing Power tools back from America

N

noworries200

HI
I am going to Florida for my holidays over the summer and I was going to buy power tools over there, ( I am a carpenter), Would I get caught for Tax bringing these back or would I be better off sending them back by courier. Has anyone done this or know anything about sending tools home,
Cheers

Would I get caught for Tax

If you are stopped by Customs and Excise you will have to pay duty and vat if the goods are valued at over 175 euro - see here -

[broken link removed]

If you send them back by courier you are still obliged to pay duty and vat as above if the goods are called for exam by customs and excise, in my experience you are more likely to be "caught" for duty and tax using couriers, of course I am not advocating you break the law by evading tax in the first place !;)

HI
I am going to Florida for my holidays over the summer and I was going to buy power tools over there, ( I am a carpenter), Would I get caught for Tax bringing these back or would I be better off sending them back by courier. Has anyone done this or know anything about sending tools home,
Cheers

Something else to consider is whether they'll work over here.
Presumably you're thinking of 110volt site power, but the frequency is different too.
Our electricity runs at 50 cycles per second (Hz), in the US it's 60 cycles.
So a power tool with a motor in it will run slower and with less power.
Re-chargables will be ok though.

I've brought a top of the range De Walt chop saw (with all accessories) and had no problem - apart from getting it on board. Walked through customs. Works fine on a transformer.

Back