Bringing my dog to Ireland

C

charlie13

I live in France and have a dog that I want to take on holidys to Ireland with me towards the end of the year. She has had her rabies vaccine and blood test to check that the vaccine is effective and all is in order. She has a microchip ID and a passport. Therfore starting from the end of September I can take her to Ireland according to my vet here. Is it really this simple? I have looked at various site about bringing animals into Ireland and they seem very aimed at USA visitors and talk about booking the Vet and going to the veterinary hospital, arriving on approved carriers etc. all very confusing and much more complicated that my vet here has advised me. Any reliable, clear advice would be welcome.

Although you are not moving to Ireland, I presume that the same rules apply as are .

The only restriction on canines moving between EU countries is - as far as I know - that if the dog is coming from a country which has now or in the past had rabies outbreaks it must be properly vaccinated. Your dog has been.

The other requirement (of both the animal protection organisations and the airline carriers - you will find these listed on the airline's website) are minimum standards for transportation of all animals including domestic. The dog must be housed in a crate or sky-carrier which is secure but accessible, properly ventilated, have a suitable solid floor and be of a size that the dog can stand and sit erect without constraint and big enough for the animal to be able to turn around. The airline will provide dimensions.

When planning the trip calculate for your dog being in the crate or sky-kennel for about an hour before take-off plus thee duration of the flight and perhaps a further half-an-hour after landing.

Back