Bringing money to Japan

billy-bob

Apologies if this is treading over old well covered ground but I've read and searched and read and searched, and not found anything that fits my situation. I'm going to Japan in a few months and although I'll be paying for larger purchases by CC, I'll need a lot of cash on hand aswell. I've got a number of choices:

1. Travellers cheques: most secure, but apparently quite a bit of hassle and as I understand it, they're a little bit of a ripoff with commission charges etc

2. Travelex cash passport: seems to be fairly equivalent to travellers cheques, but NEW! and EXCITING! Charges are still punitive.

3. Cash: most insecure, but easiest. Apparently petty theft is unheard of in Japan, but still.

4. Preload c/c: my current c/c is a Tesco one, so this out of the question, all cash withdrawals are cash advances at 16.odd% each (plus a forex charge, presumably).

5. ATM out there: this is a goer, but I'm not 100% sure my card will work. On top of that, I'll be charged 3.5% (up to 11 quid) per transaction. If I keep the transactions high enough (c.e400 each time) I should be good, but like I say, I'm a little concerned about being able to use my card out there.

6. New preloaded c/c: I'll be stuck with the e40 stamp duty, but as long as I pick a good card, this might work out the cheapest? My only concern is that most posts here recommend that I drip feed the pre-loading cash, and I'm again not 100% sure I'll have access to my online bank account abroad. Also, I assume that if I have preloaded a card and then buy something on credit, my preload amount goes down by that figure, or is for cash withdrawals only?

I'm really not sure which way to go on this, and would appreciate any advice.

Cash is used a lot in Japan, CCs are not always taken is smaller places, cards are not excepted in all machines but I got on okay with a mastro AIB card. For the main stream ones you'll find somewhere. And Yes theft is rare I never felt more safe than I did in Tokyo no matter what time of night. And they all carry large volumes of cash in Japan.

The best bet is to talk to your bank, I usually ring 24 hour banking. Ask them about the fees they card for currency exchange, CC withdrawl if in positive balance etc. They can give you all the number and help with your desicion.

I preloaded card is like a positive balance in a bank account it goes down as you spend.

Although convenient your credit card will carry a 3.25-4% charge on fx and fees

Looking at boi credit card you will pay
'A Cash Advance fee of 1.5% will be applied to the euro
converted amount including the 1.75% cross border
handling fee referred to above, subject to a minimum of
€2.54 per transaction'

You can also contact currency.ie form japan and get them to handle the transfer if it is a high end purchase

Back