Bringing money to Disneyland.

clearday

Hello,
There are four of us going to Florida and are wondering how best to deal with bringing money over with us.It would be a lot of cash (6k) and wonder if travellers cheques are the way to go.
Any suggestions very welcome.

This key post should give you plenty of advice on holiday money.

Traveller's cheques are hard to get these days because so few people use them because they are too expensive and far too much hassle.

I presume you're going to Disneyworld if you're going to Florida - Disneyland is in California.

On the money thing, why bring the money with you? There are ATMS everywhere in the US, just take out the money as you need it. Okay there's a small charge but it beats carrying cash around and it's still cheaper than travellers cheques commission.

Have you a credit card? We put money into our credit card account before going and it made payments very easy. I think travellers cheques are accepted in far less places than they used to be, plastic is the norm these days. Plus you have to spend ages in the bank filling in forms and signing them, then when you want to use them you need ID etc., and if you don't use them all you've to pay another commission fee to change them back to euros.
As you're in Florida don't forget to check out the Universal Parks, in particular Islands of Adventure which is absolutely brilliant!

Travellers cheques not as widely accepted as they used to be. If you have an ATM card just use that, lodge money before you go or as other poster said lodge money into credit card account before going.

ATM card withdrawal charges (e.g. Cirrus/Maestro fees, any local ATM fees (try to avoid ATMs that charge an additional local fee) and forex margin) will usually work out more expensive than using a preloaded CC and withdrawing cash (ideally resulting in just a forex margin charge of 1.75%+). But check you cards' T&Cs.

Take the credit card! it will be accepted everywhere just make sure you tell the CC company you are going so they won't freeze your account when they see the unusual foreign transactions. If you want any more info on Orlando
PM me I have tons as I go twice a year!!

Back