Bringing laptop as carryon with Ryanair

Women passengers are allowed a handbag in addition to their carry-on bag, and I've seen handbags that would dwarf my laptop in both size and weight.

But maybe pansyflower is already carrying a handbag in addition to his/her laptop? ;)

Flew Ryanair last week & they were making women with handbag & laptop check in the laptop. Another £8 for them.

Women passengers are allowed a handbag in addition to their carry-on bag,

Not any more, one bag per passenger through security. If you can't get everything into one bag then you have to go back out and check it in. At an additional cost of course.

Towger

Last edited:
You may well get away with a handbag in Dublin and other Irish airports where they're a lot more relaxed about the "one bag only" rule for hand luggage through security ... but if you're flying out of the UK (especially the main airports) you will not get away with a handbag in addition to your other item of hand luggage

In fairness to Ryanair it's not their rule ... they'd genuinely prefer not to have to bother with hold luggage at all and just allow carry on so as to reduce handling costs. Ryanair may not stop you at Stansted and other UK airports with 2 items of hand luggage but you will be stopped going through security at Stansted/Gatwick etc. and you'll either have to put your handbag into your other item of hand luggage or you'll have to go back and check in one of them (for which Ryanair will happily relieve you of a fiver or whatever it is)

Nonsense really ... but them the rules .. we've got to stop those international hand bag terrorists somehow !

In fairness to Ryanair it's not their rule ... they'd genuinely prefer not to have to bother with hold luggage at all and just allow carry on so as to reduce handling costs.

Didn't Ryanair announce that 80% of their increased profits last year were down to baggage charges?

So what? The information on their website and when booking about baggage rules (their own and those of airport security) and charges are pretty clear (having just booked several flights recently including one with them) so if people don't like them they can shop around.

If that "so what?" is directed at my post.........the point of the post was to disagree with EvildoctorK's assertion that Ryanair would rather not have checked-in baggage at all.

I think that Ryanair is doing well out of the current regulations ... but before these regulations came about their strategy was to discourage checked luggage to reduce baggage handling costs (which can be significant). As far as I can recall Easyjet and Ryanair had very lenient cabin baggage rules accompanied with high hold baggage charges to try to encourage as many people to travel with hand luggage only.

Of course the rules of the game changed last year with the severely heightened security rules on hand luggage.

Longer term and when we've worked out that Al-Qaeda aren't really trying to kill us all with baby milk formula and foundation cream I think the low cost carriers would prefer to be in a situation where people brought as little baggage as possible with them and carried it on board themselves.

Agreed, Doc.
I & countless others used to take almost as much as you could carry as hand luggage.
I remember Michael O'Leary's rants about how he hated paying baggage handlers as well as anyone.
But that was then & this is now, and there's a buck to be made from baggage. Things have pretty much turned full circle.

I travelled with Ryanair from Madrid to Ireland last week and some people brought suitcases on board and they were not small suitcases!

I have heard that people are putting their multiple handluggage bags inside a bin bag and hey presto one carry on bag. :D I wonder would it work?

THe current rules about cary on bags are defined by airport security not the airlines, so I would be really surprised if a bin bag was acceptable.

The Ryanair business model of getting passengers onto and off planes with minimum turnaround delay isn't really consistent with any policy of weighing everyone's hand luggage. Just like the poster above, on a recent trip abroad, I was struck by the numbers of people bringing large-ish suitcases on board. I would imagine that the hype about baggage limits is an attempt to stop this getting ridiculous.

Whaever about weight don't they usually have those cabin bag sizer frames to do a quick check?

Not any more, one bag per passenger through security. If you can't get everything into one bag then you have to go back out and check it in. At an additional cost of course.

Towger

This is really only in the UK. The standard rule almost everywhere else is one carry-on case and one laptop or handbag type item. In the US you would be amazed at the size of the bags that get carried on under the above rule.

The UK position is really a case of incompetant politicians wanting to be seen to 'do something' to reassure the public that they are protecting us from Osama. (The same could be said about the daft liquids rule).

UK security have a scales for weighing your bags also!! - I have never seen security do this anywhere else in the world.

The UK position is really a case of incompetant politicians wanting to be seen to 'do something' to reassure the public that they are protecting us from Osama.....

I think not becoming involved in Iraq would have been the smart thing to do for achieving that goal.

Flying from Dublin today via Ryanair, there was a large sign up at the Ryanair checkin saying that a laptop or similar item was allowed in addition to the carry on bag. When pressedn the checkin lady said that this might mean a camera also.

I will be flying into Stanstead soon, via iceland Express. I wonder can I carry laptop separately?

Back