Bringing car from U.K

mprsv1000

As a resident in the U.K since 1998 if I buy a car just before I move home to Ireland will have any duty to pay, and if so how do I calculate how much, will the age of the car make a difference?

From recollection, you need to own it for at least 6 months in the UK before you bring it back and then you must keep it for at least 12 months here before selling/disposing of it, in order to avoid VRT etc. If not, you must take the car to Revenue inspection pretty well immediately after it arrives (although I'm not sure that many do!) where THEY will assess its value here, and then you pay 23% (I think?) of this value. Sorry, some of that may appear vague, its a few years since I did it, but I think the rules are still the same.

oopsbuddy pretty much summed it up. You will have to declare the car to the revenue when you get here and you will have to go through an interview process to prove you were where you say you were for the last 6 months. Make sure you have utility bills, etc. I'd give them a call and find out exactly what you need.

BUT if you fit the criteria...you can import a good car virtually tax free and drive it here for 12 months and still get your money back petty much when you sell it.

And to go further...if you can satisfy the criteria, get the best car you can afford (do some research on what type of car will sell easily here, eg, diesel, BMW, Merc, with the best possible spec such as leather, climate,etc) drive in comfort for a year and take the profits. If there is also an OH, get her/him to do same thing! The only downside to this plan may be that you will end up falling in love with your "investment" and end up keeping it longer than you intended and therefore driving a far more luxurious car than you might be able to afford!

Buy something with a min 2.0 engine as the VRT is 30% on anything over 1.9

you are already well ahead of the game.

a diesel 530d or X5 3.0D

vw Torag

Should leave you well ahead of the game.