Bringing a car back from the UK to sell

Carnmore

For someone relocating to Ireland from the UK within the next 12 months, which makes/models would be the best to bring back to resell for a profit?
(Owned for at least six months in the UK and sold after 12 months back in ROI)

Has anyone on here done this?

Others will advise better on specific models but I'd say you should be aiming for cars which traditionally attract a high VRT rate here, as you'll be exempt.

Keep your intended market in mind. They will want something which attracts a low motor tax rate too. Rules are similar to UK here but not identical .

Personally I'd stay clear of diesel engines. There's a growing perception here that these will attract high tax rates soon.

Maybe get something you're prepared to drive yourself, in case you don't find it as easy to sell as you expected. A huge number of UK imports have arrived in the last couple of years so you'll have some competition when selling.

Finally, I'd expect a full service history with any UK car so make sure it has one, preferably from a main dealer. In fairness to UK drivers, they tend to be good at keeping service history. It boggles my mind why Irish drivers allow their cars to devalue further by not bothering to get the book stamped at each service.

For someone relocating to Ireland from the UK within the next 12 months, which makes/models would be the best to bring back to resell for a profit?
(Owned for at least six months in the UK and sold after 12 months back in ROI)

Has anyone on here done this?

Well don't do what I did some years ago when I brought back something that there seemed to be zero market for here! I ended up having to bring it back (before re-registering it) as the insurance was exorbitant and I couldn't afford it. Lesson learned: do your research!

I doubt you'll make an actual profit, as it'll be a year older by the time you can sell it. There's also the issue of how you sell it or whether it'll be used as a trade-in.

Other then that, I'd stick with brands with high perceived value (typically German, VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes etc.) and models that are popular, avoiding diesels which seem to be in terminal decline.

I would say a BMW X5 would be a good choice.

SUV / crossover vehicles are doing well here now.

Go as new and high end as you can afford.

As mentioned the high VRT will make a huge difference on the uk to Ireland price.

Even with the rules of owning the car before the move and not selling or some time after you will still be ahead.

The other thing to bear in mind that there is a kind of price glass ceiling for second-hand cars, above which it gets increasingly difficult to sell a car. There are not that many people willing to chuck €20K+ in cash to some randomer with no warranty or guarantee.

id either go with something like a Porsche 911 or BMW M4 or a new model suv, xc90, X5 (new model) etc

id either go with something like a Porsche 911 or BMW M4 or a new model suv, xc90, X5 (new model) etc

Two problems with these: (1) they assume a rather healthy bank balance and, (2) tallpaul's comment would be even more apt - try selling a car privately if you're looking for more than £50k and see how you get on if you don't believe me. You'd pretty much want to have a guaranteed buyer for the car lined up before purchase, as you'd be taking a massive risk otherwise. Given the delay in selling to make use of the VRT exemption, this is highly unlikely.

Larger risk of getting stuck with a high end model I would have thought.
In fact, the Brexit uncertainty would put me off doing this altogether.

Just don't buy a Vauxhall. Paddy has a strong preference for the Opel label for some reason.

Back