Bricklaying in wet weather

Herbie

Hi,

A friend of mine is having a house built with the first blocks laid today. Unfortunately, the rain started and the blocklayers had to stop work. The cement between the blocks that have been laid has been partially washed away. Should he make the builder start again or can this be repaired?

Thanks,

Herbie

I would think that when the blocks are rendered any voids would be filled.

I'm no expert but if blocks were to be re-layed every time the cement got wet a house would never be finished in Ireland. Unless a thunder storm hit and washed out the majority of the mortar then I think everything should be ok.

I'd have more of a concern if they lay the blocks during severe frost.

Thanks - it makes sense - construction in Ireland would grind to a halt if this was a problem! It's a double row of 9" blocks with insulation between so rendering won't fix the gaps between the two walls but I guess it'll sort the outer faces.

Thanks again,

Herbie

It's good practice to drape a sheet of polythene over the wall at the end of the day - this prevents the above scenario happening. Ask the blocklayer to ensure he does this in future .Any blockwork that has had the mortar removed should be relaid.

are the first blocks you are referring to are the rising walls for the substructure.
Make sure any bricks are kept dry