Brian Cowen

shnaek

Brian Cowen. What has he achieved in all his years in politics? A giveaway budget in 2004? A strong show to win the last election for Fianna Fail? Is he all talk, no action? What vision has he for Ireland? Being cognisant that his vision is defined by his actions, not by his talk. A union run Ireland, perhaps? Or does he actually want to lead the country himself?

The way I see it, the man has a choice. He is going to lose the next election. Fact. So he can go down in history as a leader with a vision who took tough decisions, or he can go down as 'Brian who? Who are you talking about?" His current dithery leadership leads me to believe the latter will be his fate. Or can anyone here point out some positives in defence of the man?

This question should really be directed at those in Tullamore. They love him down there from what I hear.

Agree with boris. Could some posters from Laois/Offaly explain how this person ever got elected?

i used to watch him on oireachtas report when he was minister of finance answering questions and he came across as a very genuine person with integrity back then. i had high hopes for him when he became taoiseach but he's just been a complete disaster...maybe it's too much for him to handle...i dunno...but he's been nowhere to be seen since the recession really took hold. even his response to the flood situation has been limp at best...at least charlie got on the tv back in the 80s and addressed the nation about the mess we were in...brian cowen has just done a disappearing act since he's become the leader which is the exact opposite of what the country needs right now.

+1

His father (bernard cowen) was a Fianna Fail TD and Senator, that's how he got elected.
That's how things work in Ireland, and it's why we're now in this current mess.

Don't forget his (and Micheal Martin's) time in the Dept of Health.....

Some may say he has been unlucky but I think he has shown bad judgement.
He tried to justify a 38K raise based on the fact it would be hypocritical not to act on a report's findings yet from what I can see he has ignored most of what was in An Bord Snip and the Taxation report.
He also personally signed off on the 6% pay agreement last Spetember only to look to cut the pay bill by 7.5% a few months later.
Even the talks this week seem to be all over the place.

His father (bernard cowen) was a Fianna Fail TD and Senator, that's how he got elected.
That's how things work in Ireland, and it's why we're now in this current mess.

In a Nutshell!!

Surprisingly weak man all the same...

His father (bernard cowen) was a Fianna Fail TD ..

.. as was Mary Coughlan's father, and Brian Lenihan's. And Mary Hanafin's father was a Senator. And then there's 'Dev Og'. And Conor Lenihan and Sean Haughey are Junior Ministers.

And on it goes ..

Newton Emerson described Brian Lenihan as Ireland's "Acting Taoiseach"..an

indictment on Brian Cowen's performance if there ever was one..

daithi

Well, he did give us Mary Coughlan as Tanaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade & Employment.

Agree with boris. Could some posters from Laois/Offaly explain how this person ever got elected?

But couldn't the same be said of Dublin voters who elected and re-elected Charles J Haughey, Liam Lawlor and Ray Burke. Or Mayo voters who kept returning P Flynn? Or Tipperary voters still returning Michael Lowry.

I agree that Brian Cowan has been fairly pathetic as Taoiseach and deserving of criticism. But I don't think he's a crook or deserving of the very personal attacks he has to endure.

I reckon that the answer to your question, Csirl, is that all politics is local.

Well, he did give us Mary Coughlan as Tanaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade & Employment.

Agree with you there. Not a farmer but her track record extends back to her time in Agriculture where anytime I saw her on TV she always seemed to have capitulated on some agri issue. In-Laws (who are farmers) absolutely despised her and her negotiating skills in Europe.

With regards to Brian Cowen, I have friends in Offaly who referred to him as "our Brian" and "our Taoiseach" and are absolutely proud of him no matter what their political persuasion is!!!!