Brian Cowen - no confidence motion

DB74

Scheduled for tomorrow

I can't see how FF are going to garner any support at the next election if Cowen is still the leader. Their only hope of retaining seats is if they oust Cowen and try to convince the electorate that there is a new broom sweeping clean.

Paddy Power going 3/1 that Cowen loses the vote which I think are very generous odds (1/5 that he wins the vote)

It's a strange one because Martin is under the impression that if he is the new leader then Cowen could stay on as Taoiseagh until the election. Not good enough to lead the party but good enough to lead the country?

The more I hear Martin the more I would stay with Cowan.

I hope Cowen stays, as Micheal Martin may bring a bit of credibility to the dying party!
As long as Cowen stays there is a bigger chance of total annihilation!

I don't think Martin would bring anything should he win. FF are screwed either way. Martin is a waffler "in terms of..." - count how many times he says that.
Perhaps FF will save a couple of seats should Cowen go, but they're out for a generation in my opinion. Regardless of whos in charge. They've had 13 years and this country went down the tube on their watch - whatever about external circumstances.
Rant over.
Sorry.

Paddy Power going 3/1 that Cowen loses the vote which I think are very generous odds (1/5 that he wins the vote)
1/10 to win it now.
I don't think Martin would bring anything should he win. FF are screwed either way . .
Perhaps FF will save a couple of seats should Cowen go, but they're out for a generation in my opinion.
Unless Martin has a plan to offer a FF Tallaght Strategy and support a minority FG government. He could say that a FG/Lab fudge won't fix the country and therefore support FG from opposition. Then 5 years down the line the scene could be set for a FG/FF Nua coalition.

Lenihan has offered his support for Cowen so game over.
Interestingly, some FF backbenchers are shocked at this as they reckon he was stirring it up recently.

[broken link removed]

They're all doing whatever suits their own agenda.

Reading between the lines of Lenihan's interview, he'd prefer Cowen to be the public face of FF going into the election and to take the brunt of the beating they'll get regardless of who's leader. In opposition, there'll be more time and space to make a more thought-out claim for leadership.

In Martin's case. it's been suggested that even if Cowen retains leadership, he (Martin) can turn around after the election and say "well, if only I'd be leader, the hiding wouldn't have been as severe".

It's only a matter of timing. Rightly or wrongly, Cowen has become synonomous with the economic meltdown and politically, he's toxic and finished.

I love the fact that at the same time of receiving an IMF bailout and having a bust economy with over 400k people unemployed, the majority party in Government is fighting about who should lead it into political oblivion. Only in Ireland.

Just goes to show the FG plan of keeping Enda out of sight is working. FF doing all the damage themselves.

This is EXACTLY what's going on! Wholeheartedly agree with Staples. What they've failed to realise is that by retaining Cowen they are about to be extinct-ified!!!! I'll be sorry to see Dick Roche go. He's a decent stick but would I vote for him again? NOPE!

Wasn't Dick the boyo who didn't imlpement some of the EU Directives on the Environment thus causing us to be fined?

Am I misremembering?

ONQ.

At the end of the day .... it's all about ego - me me and only me! Or should that be; I, I and only I?

Martin, Hanifin, Cowen, Lenihan and co are looking after themselves.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is self-delusional.

Marion

At the end of the day .... it's all about ego - me me and only me! Or should that be; I, I and only I?

Martin, Hanifin, Cowen, Lenihan and co are looking after themselves.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is self-delusional.

Marion

+ 1. RIP Fianna Fail, hopefully.

Brian Cowen has accepted Martin's resignation as Minister for foreign affairs.

Prime time is reporting that Hanafin voted against Brian Cowen.

What is the purpose of secret ballot voting?

But who really cares about the sub plots?

They are finished.

Marion