Breaking broadband contract. Do I have to pay in one lump sum?

fernrock

I am about to leave a broadband service provider before the end of my contract period.
I realise I will have to pay a penalty of a month's rental for each remaining month.
My query is:
Can the company demand payment in one lump sum or, can I insist continueing the direct debit until the final month ?

What doe the contract state? Do you have the option of holding off the cancellation until closer to the end date minus whatever the notice period is?

I am 14 months into an 18 month contract.
Since the beginning I have had a fault with the telephone side of the service.
I have had several contacts over the last 14 months, phone, and web, (they do not accept either mail or email) and they are now gone from boards.
In each contact they promised to solve the problem .
In fact just before Eastes an engineer contacted me and , said he fully understood the problem, and, would personally follow it up.
Heard nothing since then and, on contacting them recently the person on "customer service" claimed that there was no mention of any problem on my file.
As this fault has caused me a lot of problems I decided to cut and run.

(The fault is an unwanted partial call waiting on my line , partial in that the second person call is unaware that the line is busy)

As Leo said, I'd check the contract/terms and conditions. Some providers will charge a cancellation fee of €200 on top of the 30 day notice.

Back