Break in - Builder/me foots the bill ?

Wolverine

Hi All,

On off house under construction at present.
The plasterers are nearly finished, so second fix plumbing and electrics are due to start soon.

We had a break-in last week. A brick thrown through our patio sliding door.
Builders Generator & trans taken. (not much to do with me really) so I'm not too upset.

I rang the builder and he said he'd take care of the door. Still don't know who's going to fit the bill for it yet..

His words were "A door is fine but if they come back when the ware/rads are in then none of us will be happy"...
This comment has worried me a bit.

I was always under the assumption that the builder fits the bill if stuff goes missing before keys are handed over.

Herself rang the solicitor to see who fits the bill if this happens down the line.
She got an answer there and then from his junior (I think it's yourself).

I'm going to get a more concrete answer from the solicitor but he's out of the office for a few days.

Is there a general rule of thumb that the builder is resonsible until keys are handed over ?

Or has anyone been in this situation before - what was the outcome ?

Thanks,
Wolverine.

If it is a self build then I presume that you have you own insurance which should cover this incident? If it is a commercial build then it's not your problem.

while building under contract a few items i.e. taps, a rad went missing and the builder paid for them to be replaced no questions asked

You should have building under construction insurance to cover such things. IF it is a build by direct labour then you would have to have this type of insurance.
If you have given the build to a builder then I would check to see he has adequate insurance to cover such instances.

It is not a self build - It's through a building contractor.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
Wolverine.

Do you have a contract with the builder?

Under standard building contracts, builders are required to have three types of insurance - employers liability, public liability and Contractors All Risks. The theft should be covered under the All Risks Policy.
C

Back