Bratislava

bartbridge

Myself and a few friends (all female) are going on a city break to Bratislava and I wanted to see if people have had any good or bad experiences here before. Also if there's any hotels and sightseeing that you'd recommend/ avoid any info would be welcome.

Hi,

when are you intending to travel? I will be in Bratislava in early February and if it's not too late I will post some details when I get back.

jph

i stayed in Hotel Kyjev which is very close to old town. hotel is like a bit of a time warp unless its been done up in the last 4 yrs. It a big skyscraper u cant miss it. But its clean and cheap and it has cool brown carpet that goes half way up the walls and 70's radio and tv.

We're going for Paddy's weekend so any info you have after your trip would be great. I'll check out that other place Envelope, I'm guessing most of the hotels will have the 70's/80's look about them...

Hotel Danube http://www.hoteldanube.com
It is down along river and near the tower bridge. It is near old town, beside the embassies and just down hill from castle.

There are two restaurants, tried one and was pretty good. It is 4 star but as good as some 4.5 stars in Vienna for example.

Also look at this http://www.slovakia-travel.net

The old town is nice and small. Some nice restaurants, couple nice bars.
For God's sake, do not eat in the Mexican restaurant upstairs in bar just down the street from Irish pub, near the central square. They have no idea and everything is swimming in melted cheese.

There is nice Italian on one of streets just off main square, Tempus Fugit I think it's called and not sure if on sdame street as Dubliner pub. Expensive for there but not for here and the food is gorgeous.
There is gorgeous cake shop just off sqaure on street heading towards Opera house. Great place for coffee and cakes, forget about the Sacher Tart in Vienna, this place is great. I am a guy not normally into cake and such but jeeze I could have stayed there all day stuffing meself silly. My other half dragged me out of it.

If you want to do shopping walk across the river, yes towards the awful tower blocks. There is a big new shopping centre there, it is not that cheap but worth a look around anyway. I probably saved 30/40 euro on nice weatherproof jacket.

It is nice place to chill out, not too big and enough places for weekend.