Brand New Newstalk Breakfast Show

dewdrop

Sorry to learn that the cheerful voice of Ger Gilroy at 6.30 onwards is gone. However Claire Byrne is still there. It seems first half hour of programme mainly business. Does this mean market research is suggesting that early morning listeners are mainly business people or retired folks like myself who are early risers.

I didn't realise ger Gilroy was gone. Any idea what he's doing now?

Is he still with Newstalk?

AFAIK .. he's currently on honeymoon. He'll be returning to Newstalk in an editorial position - not on the air.

Ivan Yates is rumoured to be joining the Breakfast Show .

I'd listen to Ivan Yates all day. Very articulate and intelligent.
The same cannot be said of Claire Byrne. She asks silly questions and when she doesn't get the answer she wants she invariably shouts the same question again. Any decent interviewer knows to pose the question in a slightly different way.
And as for the morning when she started nattering on about jam sandwiches...God help us!!!

If Ger Gilroy is no longer on the Breakfast show then I will be changing channels. The show works well with the 2 of them.

If Ger Gilroy is no longer on the Breakfast show then I will be changing channels. The show works well with the 2 of them.
I agree. Ger was very good.

Listened to it this morning. Looks as if Ivan has a 3 month stint on the show.

But after 3 months - what then?

I agree - I'm swicthing off! Ger was great but Claire gets hyperactive, shouts at people she's interviewing & doesn't ask the right questions. e.g. Lenihan this a.m.

Looks I'll be tuning into "Mourning Ireland"....

Was a listener, wasnt listening this morning for some reason. Wont be as much of a listner in the future by the sounds of it. Ger was defo the better of the partnership.

Ivan is not the most "fluid" of speakers, but an intelligent guy. Dare I say it a bit old for the role????? (Age action Ireland absail in the window at me !).

Off the Ball & the Morning Show tended to work well because of the younger profile of the presenters. Hook I like (generally) - one for the oldies.

Is Ivan Yates a real-world Walter Mitty, I mean former minister for Ag, betting shops and now radio talk show host?

Dont like the new format. All just business from 6.30 till 7, not for me. I liked Ger sad that he is gone. I only ever listened in between 6.30 and 7 but the 2 of them seemed to work well together.

The new format is like what is on BBC Radio 5 live except an hour later. 5 live has "wake up to money" at 5.3O and then News etc from 6.

I listen to Newstalk early in the morning, if it's the repeats and they do sport I switch to Radio 5 which is really good. Ger & Claire worked well together. Newstalk is not as polished as RTE but then it doesn't have the money but it's good to have choice. It will be interesting to see how the Ivan/Claire mix will work.

I thought the you tube clip of the Karen Coleman interview with Conor Lenihan hilarious.

What effect has negative comment by media on our economy?

Like the A+E thing - If people paid their bills for A+E - we'd have better A+Es but media have a knee jerk thing and just blame government.

What effect has negative comment by media on our economy?

Like the A+E thing - If people paid their bills for A+E - we'd have better A+Es but media have a knee jerk thing and just blame government.

You're obviously embedded in FF (among possibly other places ...), but how about this statement as a topic for debate:

"I blame FF for the health service mess because they amalgamated the health boards but didnt rationalise administrative staff. Now the HSE money pit is disproportionately consuming cash on administration with resultant deficiencies in front line services".

I just love the facile FF comment - dont criticse us cos you're talking down the economy ... politics for 5 year olds or the brass neck brigade, roll on the June 5 wipe out (p.s. I'm not affilated to any party).