Brand new car - had to replace tyre today.

ci1

just wondering if I have any comeback with this.

Collected new car 3 weeks ago and had to replace the tyre today.
Was driving along and nearly ended up on the other side of the road, I went straight to the garage and they said there was not enough air in that tyre or any other tyre on the car. The guy said that the tyre was burnt from the inside, he couldn't fix the tyre and I had to replace it.

I am very surprised and a bit peeved that I had to buy a new tyre after only having the car this long, should it not be standard that the workshop in the dealer check the tyres before they released the car to me??

any thoughts on how I should proceed?

ci1

I can confirm that when the mechanic carried out a PDI (pre delivery insp) they do examine the tyres. Tyres are not covered under manufacturers warranty, neither are bulbs, wiper blades etc after a certain mileage!!! In fact there are about 2 pages in your warranty agreement on various parts & wiring etc that isnt covered by the manufacturer.

it is down to the customer to keep sufficient air in tyres etc as far as i know.. can anyone confirm this for me please?

SS

Thanks ShootingStar,

I guessed that was the case.

I would normally keep a check on the air in my tyres but probably not as often as I should, and I deffo didn't think I would have to be checking it 3 weeks after getting the car...

The garage put them up today anyway and he showed me how to check so will deffo do it for the future because I got such a fright today.

I wouldn't have thought the air would start to go down after 3 weeks.

I'd have a fight with the garage about that.

Either:
- They didn't inflate the tyres properly during the inspection => they are at fault
- There are a faulty valves for the tyres to go down so fast => they are at fault.

Certainly worth having the discussion, they should be interested in keeping you as a repeat customer.

The responsbility lays with the owner of the car to check that the tires are fully inflated. Car tires do lose pressure.

Or somebody could easily have come along and let some air out of them??? It happens quiet alot especially when a new car arrives into an estate... jealous neighbours

jealous neighbours

Guess I must have really nice neighbours 'cos that thought never crossed my mind!! My point overall is that I find loads of people tend to almost be afraid to "complain" (prob too strong a word here).

I just think it would be worth contacting the person he bought it from as it seems like the OP just spoke to the mechanic. On the basis there is a possibility that the garage may have some responsibility they may be willling to meet half way (tyres at cost or some gesture of goodwill) with a view to having a happy customer who will speak well of them.

one way to sort out the jealous neighbours argument is to tell us what kind of car it is. Flash/expensive cars can make jealous people react strongly, kids also get a kick out of such things.

But to be fair, if a tyre got that damaged over a three week period without you knowing, I doubt you could expect the garage to take responsibility. I always find myself glancing at tyres almost everytime I approch my car. It's not something that could go unnoticed for any period of time.

You will have a fight on your hands I'm afraid...

Well I've just moved and am in a new apartment complex of 4 apts and theres no one else moved in yet so I can settle the neighbours dispute because I don't actually have any.

I would have no problem complaining.
I got onto the garage where I bought the car and he said that the services manager checked my PDI sheet and the tyre check was carried out and marked on the sheet so theres nothing he can do.

So no goodwill gestures were offered at all.

At least I tried.

ci1, there could be a lot of building materials still around on the drive ways and roads, mounting kerbs etc, many ways for the air to escape.

sam h, Complain! all people do is complain and then say were going to talk to our solictor. Why can't people accept the responsibility?

We had a man in here who left his bonnet open and it rained, water got into the control units and blew them, came in and couldn't under stand why the importer would not cover replacing them under Good will. Said if we didn't cover he would never buy of one our "brand" cars again.

Customer spilt 7up over his dash, wanted a new dash because he couldn't remove all the 7up and his dash wasn't "right" after he cleaned it and wanted us to pay for it.

People let there children sit in the front of the cars and put money into the CD player and give out and say the radio's at fault, it shouldn't accept money.

I could go on all day, why should a garage pay for things you do?

Hi Mr2...there could well have been another reason for it but I swerved on a back road and could have been really hurt, or really hurt someone else.

I do complain when I feel that it is warranted. I just spent 23k on a new car and had to get a new tyre 3 weeks later...

I'm not annoyed that the garage are not doing anything but I felt I should let them know either way.

I did say in my original post that the garage that put on my new tyre yesterday told me there was not sufficient air in any of the tyres on the car.
One I can accept, but 4???

There gague could be wrong!? They could have put to much air in the tyre!

Check what the spec is for air pressure, ( inside the fuel flap/on ddor pillar) cars usually range from 26psi - 34psi, some of our cars are standard at 28psi and some people wouldn't drive a car with "soft" tyres at 28 and always put 32 in the tyres.

Just check!

It happened on the 1st Nov, the previous night was Halloween night - kids messing etc.., quite a possibility that someone let the air/some of the air out of your tyres - it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

ha! did we work together? oh it all sounds too familar. Motor trade was the most difficult sector i ever worked in.

It happened on the 1st Nov, the previous night was Halloween night - kids messing etc.., quite a possibility that someone let the air/some of the air out of your tyres - it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Spot on...kids or your own neglect I would say. You can simply tell when a tyre is dangerously low/high just by glancing at it.

Checking your tyres checks and oil level, fuid checks, these are the most basic skills that every motorist should have by default.

The garage can't be held responsible for this I'm afraid

sam h, Complain! all people do is complain and then say were going to talk to our solictor. Why can't people accept the responsibility?

Competely disagree....we Irish are terrible for moaning about problems in the pub but not doing anything about it. Surely a good company would rather to hear about the problem and try to rectify it? The OP had problems with ALL of his tyres which were soft (not flat) so may not have been visable.

Word of mouth is the cheapest good/bad marketing available to companies.

We've all dealt with the situations you out lined above...these aren't genuine customer issues, these are situations where people are chancing their arm and not taking responsibilty for their own stupidity! I just think this is abit different as the garage "may" have been at fault and if approached in the right way may have been willing to doing something to met the OP half way (eg - cost price tyres). What happens if the other 3 tyres have also been damaged and have to be replaced in the next few weeks??

I didn't say they go and sue us but they do always say "Were going to talk to our solicitor". I'm sure the solicitor laughs at them, but the problem is people do act on this experience and do it with there feet, and don't come back.

And the fact of the matter is they were in unreasonable at the first stage but were wrong and they don't come back. Yes they do discuss it at the bar and spread the word that were wrong because it a one sided story.

sam h, i'm afraid unless you have worked in the motor industry you don't know what it's like. It would be like buying a whirlpool microwave and putting matal box inside and turning it on! When it blew up, ring Whirlpool, tell them not only do you want a new microwave (goodwill gesture) but if they don't give it you'll never buy another Whirlpool item and in fact you want your money back for the items you have already bought!

That's about the closest you could compare it to.

The poster has already said the Garage checked there PDI check sheet and it said they were fine at the time it left the garage, but you think they could be wrong, then it's aslo reasonable to think the garage that sold him the tyre could be wrong also about what they said the tyre pressure should be. Would it then be reasonable to ask the tyre seller to contribute to the ordeal as well?

Mr2: I don't think your microwave example is comparable as the consumer would be knowingly using the product in an unsuitable driver, so unless the OP knowingly let the air out & continued to drive, it's not a proper comparison. And you yourself said :

There gague could be wrong!?

I haven't worked in the motor trade, but I have worked in the IT field and we would often have people coming back with various issues, some valid, some not. At least by having a proper 2 way conversation it is possible to get to the root of the problem and then try to rectify it (eg- guy buys new PC but the graphics card not sufficent for the multimedia pack he wants to run but never mentioned. Legally, he should be obligied to buy a new card, but better to upgrade him to the new one & just charge the difference in price; happy customer at very little cost to the company).

but the problem is people do act on this experience and do it with there feet, and don't come back.
....can I take it you now (sort of) agree with me???

I just can`t believe anyone could possibly drive a car with under-inflated tyres (plural!) and not notice that the car was not `handling` normally??? Is this your very first car and your very first three weeks of motoring?
Jeez, what have we on our roads?
Regardless of who is deemed to be at fault it is ultimately your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
I completely agree with Mr2 as well regarding customers complaining, I am in consumer electronics retailing and have a pain in my face with customers complaining about problems they caused themselves...I wont bore you with examples.

Thanks for your very uninteresting Post Iggy...
if I can just explain something, I changed over from Petrol to Diesel, I was told that the drive could be different, I personally did not notice anything and am not a mechanic or expert in cars so others might have noticed something a miss I did not!!

As for your comment about what is on our roads, I find this generalistion extremely offending and quite immature, I am driving 9 years, 3 different cars, I have never been in or caused any accidents, I have no points, I have never been stopped or fined for any kind of bad driving or neglect, thru speed, dui, no seatbelt etc and I am definately not one of the people that gets out on the road and puts others at risk.

As far as I am concerned some fool in a garage ticked a PDI sheet and said my tyres were checked and ok when they were clearly not.