Brake servo unit on skoda

Nicko

Hi
Just been quoted €586 to replace brake servo unit because of air leak, on 10 year old diesel skoda suberb. Includes parts, labour and vat. Does this sound about right?

An Item that I have rearly heard anyone having to replace really, but I suppose they can go. They are generally quite a simplistic device and are probably only 1 hr to replace unelss they have to take the master cylinder off as well and this will add to the labor as the brakes will have to be bled afterwards too.

If it was me I would be scouring donedeal or get the yellow pages out and look for a breaker. You should get one for €10-50. Any old fool could fit them.
Its 10 years old, I think you are probably time you said goodbye to the main dealer and find a good independent.

+1

If you want a recommendation for a good independent garage try M&S Autos in Clarinbridge (MB VW AUDI Skoda BMW SEAT) 091 776 611. I'm a customer as is my daughter, my nieces, brother-in-law, son-in-law and many taxi drivers.

Thanks for replies, just been on to a local garage who are going to take a look at it. So will have to see what they come up with...

An Item that I have rearly heard anyone having to replace really, but I suppose they can go. They are generally quite a simplistic device and are probably only 1 hr to replace unelss they have to take the master cylinder off as well and this will add to the labor as the brakes will have to be bled afterwards too.

If it was me I would be scouring donedeal or get the yellow pages out and look for a breaker. You should get one for €10-50. Any old fool could fit them.
Its 10 years old, I think you are probably time you said goodbye to the main dealer and find a good independent.

Don't get a servo from a scrapyard I did that once and it didn't last 3 months. It started leaking brake fluid into the engine, emptied the system of brake fluid and damn nearly got me killed. Only use new components with brakes.

It was possible years ago to replace the seals and diaphragm in the brake servo, I don't know if this can be done now.

It was possible years ago to replace the seals and diafragm in the brake servo, I don't know if this can be done now.

The kits weren't easy to get and they had limited success especially if you had a leaky cylinder. Because the cylinder moves over a very short travel it tended to ridge and this ridge quickly wore the new seal. The diaphragm spring is very strong and the servo has to be able to hold a vacuum to be able to separate the shell from the base. This servo is leaking which means the spring is exerting full pressure and can't be decreased. This servo will have to be opened in a safety cage.

Back