"Boycott of Daily Mail"

Ham Slicer

It looks like the Daily Mail sales might take an early hit.

I just received this email:

The Daily Mail in Britian last week ran a piece about supposed links between the IRA and Glasgow Celtic Football Club. This article (not printed in the Irish Edition) stated that the fact the Sam Maguire cup was paraded around Celtic Park 'proved there is a real link' between Celtic and the IRA. It then went on to claim the Celtic chairman was a hypocrite by condenming sectarian chanting, when in fact he was allowing the cup of a competiton named after an IRA man (a 1920's one at that) be paraded around Celtic Park.

I for one, am not going to allow this slating of one of our proudest traditions. In light of this I urge people to buoycott the Irish Daily Mail and Ireland on Sunday from immediate effect

I wondered how long it would take for something like this to be circulated given the apparent anti-Irish reputation of the Mail.

I don't follow Celtic or the GAA and have no allegiance to any newspaper so it makes no difference to me.

I saw reference to that article in yesterdays Sunday Independent - I wonder has anyone actually read the article to see if that link between the Sam Maguire and the IRA was actually made ?

I haven't read the article and I'm not an apologist for the Mail but I do find it interesting that this negative press against the Mail is coming out as they launch their Irish edition

Taken from a website (cant remember which, sorry!)

On the subject of the Sam Maguire,

Mail on Sunday Article (from a couple of weeks ago)

Celtic football club was yesterday facing fresh controversy over alleged links between its fans and the IRA. The club was recently forced to condemn sectarianism after two players were filmed at a supporters event in Ireland, during which chants of sin (sic) Fein and IRA could be heard. Now the club itself is at the centre of the storm after agreeing to allow a football trophy named after an IRA intelligence chief to be paraded around Celtic park despite the clubs insistence that it `condemns` support for paramilitary organisations.

All-Ireland champions Tyrone have been allowed to take the Sam Maguire cup on a lap of honour of the ground before the sol match with Dundee utd on Jan 28.

However, Sam Maguire was head of IRA operations in London around the time of the Easter rising in 1916. It has been suggested he ordered the IRA murder of conservative mp sir Henry Wilson in June 1922. Maguire is a revered figure in Republican circles, having sworn in Michael Collins to the Irish Republican Brotherhood in 1909.

The disclosure will come as a major embarrassment for Celtic who outlined they`re stance on the IRA only last Wednesday.

by Paul Drury

GAA Reply to a concerned Tim

Dear Sir,

My thanks for your email. We have been in contact with Glasgow Celtic in relation to this and have established an agreed approach.

Sensationalistic doesn't begin to describe the angle taken by Mr Drury, the journalist in question. In the first place, the Sam Maguire Cup was named in honour of the man's sterling work as secretary of the London County Board and not for anything he did for the cause of national independence (however worthy). The implied suggestions of sectarianism don't tally with the fact that Maguire was a Protestant. He was involved in the War of Independence, but then so too were the likes of future Taoisigh (Prime Ministers) of the country such as Eamonn De Valera, Sean Lemass and President Sean T O Ceallaigh, not to mention Nobel peace prize winner Sean Mc Bride. I very much doubt if any reservations would be expressed were any of those luminaries to be associated with Celtic.

Every country has a history and any country that gained its Independence generally did so by force of arms. You only have to consider George Washington's contribution to the American War of Independence, and it is unlikely Mr Drury would object to a trophy in his honour being paraded at Parkhead. Sam Maguire is no different. Indeed, as you know many famous Irish streets, housing estates, buildings, train stations etc are named after those who fought in the War of Independence - it is not unusual and never before has this issue been raised in such a mischievous context.

Incidentally, The Nelson Mandela Cup is the name of the trophy presented to the winners of the annual tri-nations clash in rugby between Australia and South Africa - there would have been a time when Mandela was viewed as a subversive by his own state and indeed was imprisoned on this basis. I mention this to highlight the importance of context around such issues.

In short, I consider this a disgraceful piece of mischief making by an individual who it appears must have an agenda against Celtic and the GAA and has no understanding whatsoever of the complexities of Irish politics and the National question.

Feargal Mac Giolla,

Oifigeach Eolais,

Cumann Luthchleas Gael

Pairc an Chrocaigh

BAC 3

Re: Taken from a website (cant remember which, sorry!)

redbhoy said:
The disclosure will come as a major embarrassment for Celtic who outlined they`re stance on the IRA only last Wednesday.
The most disgraceful aspect of this story is the misuse of the apostrophe above! :(

efm said:
I saw reference to that article in yesterdays Sunday Independent - I wonder has anyone actually read the article to see if that link between the Sam Maguire and the IRA was actually made ?

I haven't read the article and I'm not an apologist for the Mail but I do find it interesting that this negative press against the Mail is coming out as they launch their Irish edition

So Independent Newspapers are dissing the new kid on the block ?

How surprising :rolleyes: ?

I bought a copy of the Daily Irish Mail or Irish Daily Mail last week out of curiousity and was surprised on how much UK content there was. I would have expected them to make a better effort at being an 'Irish' paper.

The Irish Independent has most to lose from this new arrival. Their move to tabloid size pages, the editorial shift last year, the launch of Herald AM to combat Metro (which is part-owned by the owners of the Mail) - these are all in response to the Mail.

Also, an overlap between support for Celtic and support for the 'republican' movement - again .. How surprising :rolleyes: ?

TarfHead said:
I bought a copy of the Daily Irish Mail or Irish Daily Mail last week out of curiousity and was surprised on how much UK content there was. I would have expected them to make a better effort at being an 'Irish' paper.
I caught a glimpse at it last week and saw loads of bargain prices for PCs and holidays and domestic appliances and so on. Then I realised that they were all in GBP£ and not €! :( That's one thing that I find annoying about some Irish editions of UK newspapers.

Purple said:
I think that the reply from the GAA is excellent. I agree completely.
I couldn't agree more - it is a model of clarity and commonsense.

Hilarious, though to see Independent Newspapers (particularly the Sindo) trying to wrap itself in the green flag for commercial purposes. The home of Harris, Ruth Dudley Edwards and various assorted non-entities who spew anti-Nationalist drivel at every opportunity has opposed the peace process, vilified John Hume for even talking to the IRA, and sunk to a new low by sneering at Mary Lou McDonald for putting on weight when she was pregnant.

If it comes to a battle between the Mail and the Indo, hard to decide which side I'm on. Bit like North Korea declaring war on Al-Queda!

Observer said:
I couldn't agree more - it is a model of clarity and commonsense.

Hilarious, though to see Independent Newspapers (particularly the Sindo) trying to wrap itself in the green flag for commercial purposes. The home of Harris, Ruth Dudley Edwards and various assorted non-entities who spew anti-Nationalist drivel at every opportunity has opposed the peace process, vilified John Hume for even talking to the IRA, and sunk to a new low by sneering at Mary Lou McDonald for putting on weight when she was pregnant.

If it comes to a battle between the Mail and the Indo, hard to decide which side I'm on. Bit like North Korea declaring war on Al-Queda!

We are as one...what more can I say

I would draw a big distinction between the Irish Indo - which I find a well informed and balanced read (I find the Times a bit stodgy but I'm not knocking it), and that rag of a Sunday Indo. My views on the Sindo are on the "Primetime & 1916" thread on LOS.

Fair point Betsy. I wouldn't go quite so far in my praise but I agree that a distinction is merited.

I read The Sunday Times.
Its gone a bit downhill over the last few years.
When a newspaper is building circulation, it tends to be good.
I ignore its rabidly anti-republican rubbish and a policy of destroying the reputations of Irish patriots, living and dead.

I tend to read anything but rarely would I buy any papers. Although i purchased a copy of the Village last week and found it very informative. Interesting articles without the B***S***.
It is interesting to see the Indo getting all patriotic though.

Back