Boxing in a boiler.

You need to be more specific, are you talking about a copper hot water storage cylinder? If so, are you suggesting boxing it in so that there is no access? How about future repair, maintenance or replacement? It's generally not a good idea to box in plumbing fixtures like this for these reasons alone. If you are talking about an actual "boiler" (gas or oil fueled) there are regulations with regard to ventilation, separation from combustible surfaces etc.

when fitting kitchens/utilities we often come across this issue and it never seems to be a problem to box it in, but in all cases we have a door accessing it which is same as rest of door/drawer fronts in the kitchen - it will just look like another unit and tidies it up nicely

make sure before doing it that you know exactly how and where you need to access for servicing and maintenance

barry

If you are talking about an actual "boiler" (gas or oil fueled) there are regulations with regard to ventilation, separation from combustible surfaces etc.

Yes it's a boiler. I want to convert what is now my garage with boiler into a living space. I've thought about moving the boiler, I might end up doing that. But I might just box it in and have a wall of presses/shelving on that side anyway. Of course I know I'd have to allow for future access but I am very interested in the regulations you are referring to. Assume these are building regs, would you have the detail or could you point to it for me so I can ensure it is done correctly. Please and thanks.:)

There are Irish building regulations Part J in relation to "heat producing appliances" but i don't think they're terribly relevant to your query. If your appliance is room sealed (should be) with a balanced flue, there should be no problem "boxing in" but the original manufacturer's instructions will have details of critical dimensions to be observed. If you don't have the instructions you should be able to get them online; every boiler is different so you really need to see what the original manufacturer's specification is, sorry.

Well that's a great help thanks. I never thought of looking at the instructions.

Back