Bournemouth

Firehead

Hi everyone, Ryanair are doing some good deals from Shannon to Bournemouth at the moment and I'm thinking of booking a few days there in August, group of about ten of us, various ages from baby to 50's. Anyone have views on Bournemouth and surrounding area as holiday destination.

I would recommend it. Some good restaurants etc. The Beach is very nice. Lovely park in the middle of the town.

I would recommend it too. We went for my parents anniversary and we all had a ball. Good shopping too at non-London prices. We got a great deal for 8 of us in place called Langtry Manor - it was the former home of King Edward VII so very atmospheric. Have fun.

Bournemouth can get very crowded in high summer (population of 1 million doubles in summer time), a lot of locals tend to avoid the beach areas at that time.

Lovely spot though, and if you have transport, there are lots of places to visit (e.g. Salisbury, the New Forest) - watch out for the Dorset Steam Fair in late Aug/early Sept. A great day out and not just for steam engine buffs!
Useful info on www.bournemouth.co.uk

Thanks for the info guys, yes I think we'll go with booking a few days there during the Summer.

I didn't find the night life great in B'mouth but there is a nice beach nearby and its a bit of a riviera down there with all the big yachts. Can't for the life remember the name of the strand but it will come to me.
If you go to Poole during the day which is about 6 miles away, down at the waterfront, you can look at where they make the Sunseeker yachts and they have a long promenade.
Tuesday nights in the summer all the bikers come to Poole and hang out for the evening. If you like that sort of thing

i remember...its called Sandbanks

Property there is supposed to be one of the top 5 most expensive places per sq ft in the world

Sandbanks is lovely but can get crowded in the Summer. You can get the chain ferry over to Studland (there is a nudist beach there if that floats your boat) and if you have a car Corfe Castle and Swanage/Purbecks are all within easy driving distance. Some of the nicest parts of the South Coast are to be had in this area. (Lulworth Cove, Old Harry Rocks etc)

Bournemouth itself is pretty good for shopping. Nightlife is ok but unfortunately it's being overrun by hen and stag parties.

Poole is a bit of a kip town wise but the harbour is lovely.

The New Forest and Stonehenge are all within a short driving distance as well.

Back