Boundary Wall Dispute

C

charlieT

Hi

We have approached our neighbours about building up the existing boundary wall (half-wall) and they have refused to agree to this even though we offered to pay for it. So we have decided to build a fence on our side of the wall. We plan to fix the fence to our side of the boundary wall and am wondering if anyone can confirm that this is legally sound?

thanks

Check your planning permission conditions. In a previous 2nd hand residence, we had only retaining wall to the side and nothing out front.

Planning permission indicated that I could do 6 foot wall all around the side and back of the house (i.e. for back and sides of house). For front of house I could do 3 or 4 foot (can't remember which).

It was in the planning permission so I could do what I wanted within that. I did get consent from neighbour and paid for it all myself (including plastering his side of the wall !)

But if he didn't want it, I don't believe he could have prevented it.
I know that in some planning conditions, walls are specifically not allowed, and specify hedging, fencing etc.

If there is no mention in planning permission, then there should be guidelines on Dept Environment or local planning office web site outlining what kind of boundary changes do not require planning.

As far as I'm aware there is a limit to the height of a front wall that can be built. Some planning in new estates requires front hedges which could cause a problem if building a wall.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on building rear walls, other than height of exempt buildings/extensions. (which is 12.5 feet I think)

We built front walls in our estate last year (about 10 houses). Looks great as all walls are the same and to a high standard (full red brick to match houses, granite tops on piers, etc.). The neighbours at both ends who refused to participate ...... well they didn't get the walls plastered/dashed on their side and the front piers aren't centred should they ever wish to build walls themselves. Either way they couldn't stop us or make any complaints about the finish!

BTW - I should mention both houses are rented & not owner occupied. I'd try to get some form of compromise with your neighbours as the relationship will never be the same again. I know so many people who haved moved houses solely because of their neighbours!