Bought car and then sold it on. Now Finance Co claim outstanding HP amount!

H

Harvey76

I bought a car some time back and subsequently sold it on. Think its changed hands again subsequently.

Got a solicitors letter from Finance Company recently looking for outstanding monies in respect of the car.

Seemingly there was outstanding Hire Purchase amounts owing on the car (which I wasn't aware of) when I bought in initially.

As I have said, I've since sold it on.

Have they any recourse against me, or do they have to go after the person that currently owns the car?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Re: Hire Purchase Debt

They can repossess the car from the current "owner" and sue you for the monies outstanding when you bought it. You sue the guy you bought it from, the guy you sold it to sues you, etc.

They can repossess the car from the current "owner" and sue you for the monies outstanding when you bought it. You sue the guy you bought it from, the guy you sold it to sues you, etc.

Thanks for that. What's their legal basis for suing me if I no longer have possession of the goods?

Would it not just be easier for the finance company to sue the original owner, ie. The only person who actually signed an agreement to pay the finance? Either way, I think the only person, other than the guy who took out the finance, they could really persue is the current owner, logically speaking.