Bought a new apartment-appliances have broken down-what are my rights?

S

serena

Hi, we bought a brand new apartment in October and moved in in November. We bought it from a girl who had bought from the plans to sell it on; she had never moved in, so to us it was brand new. The kitchen came fully fitted with dishwasher, washer/dryer, cooker and fridge. But our fridge stopped working on Friday. It came with the apartment so we've no receipt and no idea where it came from. I rang the management company and was told it was our responsibility (which I thought they'd say anyway) but I don't know what to do from here... It's an Indesit fridge, so I can call someone out, but as it's brand new (and hopefully less than a year old) do I have any rights to a replacement or anything?

Re: Do you live in an apartment?

What has this got to do with 'Budget 2006'?

Please keep thread titles relevant as well.

Moved and thread title edited from "Do you live in an apartment"?

The builders are responsible for sorting this out. You may have to call the girl who sold you the apartment first.

I presume you called the managing agent and not the management company. It's not really the agents repsonsibility to sort out such problems.

Yes, I did. Sorry about posting in the wrong subject, I've never posted anything before, just replied. I'm going to give the builders a ring today, was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem...

As far as I can make out, Hotpoint services Indesit appliances. I would give them a call and tell them YOU bought a new apartment in October and now have a problem with an Indesit appliance. Chances are they'll send somebody out and fix it under the warranty. A friend had exactly the same problem with a new apartment she bought and just contacted Indesit who fixed the problem. All they asked me for was the date of purchase. Most appliances nowadays have a bar code with a serial number. They can easily tell from this when the appliance was manufactured and shipped to the retail outlets.

Hotpoint, 49 Airways Indstl Est, Santry, Dublin 17 tel 0818 313413
Let us know how you get on!

Thanks a million for that, I rang the builders and they said that Quality Kitchens did the kitchens, and that they were only fitted out in May or June, so they're definitely under warranty. Will let you know what hotpoint say!

Hi Mary, Hotpoint rang me back to say they're trying to get a date for me, and she'll let me know as soon as possible. Hopefully I won't be waiting long, I've my milk/butter etc out on the balcony to keep it cold! Thanks for that!