Bought a dog, maybe not from the rightfull owner.

twofor1

A friend replied to an advertisement, phoned the mobile number given, met in a public place and bought a dog for cash.

This dog is supposedly chipped, the seller will register the new owner.

No receipt, no papers of any vaccinations etc or any other documentation was given. This dog has no collar/lead or any other accessories.

I, and now the purchaser suspect the seller is not the rightful owner and are concerned that this is somebody else’s family pet who strayed or possibly even was stolen.

If chipped would the Vet know from scanning if this dog has been reported as missing ?

Would the Vet phone the registered owner and enquire if they sold it recently to a Mrs X.

If it is the case this dog belongs to someone else, my friend will reunite it with its rightful owner and just take the hit on the cost and get a new dog from a reputable source next time.

I acknowledge this will mean the seller will have gotten away with selling something they did not own, but my elderly friend just wants to move on and not pursue this further.

We intend putting these questions to the local Vet, in the meantime any opinions or experiences of similar appreciated.

Does your friend still have a copy of the advertisement? Was it on a website? If it was on a website and is now taken down you could possibly find the original cached version.

You could check online with www.lostandfoundpets.ie and see if the dog is advertised as lost?

If this is a dodgy deal there is probably little chance the seller is going to re-register the ownership (as they could be caught out in the crime) - so your friend should definitely bring the dog to a vet to see if its chipped at all and if so, what are the contact details. A vet will also be able to tell your friend the age of the dog, and any medical issues that may have been concealed.

If its a pedigree dog then its possible you will be able to trace it back to its real owner.

In the meantime if you and your friend are suspicious you should go to the guards and give the advertisement, the mobile phone number and report your story to them.

yes any vet will scan the dog for you for free and get the details of the owner. Of course the owner may not have included their details, a lot of people chip the dog but forget to include all their details on the form.

Please do this right away go to your vet and if the dog has been stolen get it back to its righfull owner - the heartache this could cause maybe another elderly person/child/family is unreal - just put it down to a lesson learnt.

Personally I would never ever pay for a dog unless from a pound or rescue centre there are just too many out there looking for good homes.

Please go to the Vet&/gaurds today - well done for wanting to do the right thing please do it today.

J

If your friend discovers that the dog did not belong to the seller, he could post the details and photo on the Dogs in Distress Website and on Irishdogs.ie. where there are sections for missing dogs and people may be on the look out for this dog.

This dog is chipped but no details were registered.

This dog does not match any listed as missing.

The vet has given us the chip number and advised we register this with my friends details.

A advised by ney001 above the vet also said it is unbelievable the amount of people who get a pet chipped and then fail to register the details, a totally pointless exercise.

We are happy now to give this dog a new home.

Thanks for the replies.

there is a very special bond between a dog and its owner, personally i would be absolutely devastated if someone stole my beautiful dog, i am currently separated from my dog as i am working in london and i miss him terrible every day. If i were in your shoes i would do every thing possible to find this dog,'s rightful owner.

I totally agree with you cashier and especially the fact the owners chipped the dog means they were responsible owners and the dog did mean a great deal to them. Pity they did'nt register the details. I too would be devasted if any of my dogs were taken or went missing. The only thing is if the owner cannot be traced at least it sounds like the dog is now going to have a new caring owner and a good home.

I had nothing to do with the purchase of this dog, I was suspicious as outlined above, bearing in mind the checks we have now made, I am now more inclined to think the seller was the rightful owner.

While my friend was naïve to purchase this dog in the first place, I think all reasonable steps have now been taken.

Isn't it a pity that when the vet chips the dog that they should offer the service of registering the owner's name on the relevant website even for a small charge. It would mean that once the dog is chipped it is also registered to it's rightful owner.

Back