Bought 2nd hand car with no tax

paddyc

I just bought a 06 Seat Leon on Saturday in a private sale, the tax is up on the car since Sept 07. Prev owner was sending off the log book today to get it changed over to my name, I'm wondering if/how long can I drive it for with no tax ? Also as it wasn't in my name I assume I won't need a form from the guards saying it was off the road and they will just renew tax from Jan ?

I bought a car last June, due to some mistakes by the selling garage it didn't get transferred into my name until November. I sent a cheque to dublin city council for the period June 06-November 07, they wrote back and said that as the car was only transferred into my name in November that was the date i had to pay from.....

during that 5 months i was stopped at two checkpoints and it wasn't noticed, about a week before i finally got my disc i had to explain to a garda who was taking my details (disc out of date since April 07) outside the office what had happened, he accepted my story.

As soon as you get proof or regsitration back from Shannon you can send the form to the local authority. That is technically how long you can "get away with it".

Back