Boston or New York?

Vanilla, thank you for hotel suggestion, the Crowne plaza is a bit beyond our budget for now , but who knows with SSIA money coming home to roost next year!

Doogo, thank you as well for your reply.

We are booking dates that will co-incide with Thanksgiving (thursday 24th Nov.) and thinking of staying in the Roosevelt hotel, anyone ever heard of it?

Are we mad to travel that week, or should we just (as a friend suggested) chill out and enjoy the parade and experiance thanksgiving NY style.

Am planning to go to New York in January and wonder because of the cold is it a good idea or will the weather restrict our few days mainly sight seeing trip?

NYC can be fairly miserable in January/February, especially if it snows. (The magical snowflakes look great for a while, then the place can become a huge maze of slush piles). And it can be bitterly, bitterly cold. I wouldn't go on a pleasure/sightseeing trip to NYC at that time of year, honestly.

The city is definitely at its best in spring and autumn.

thanks extopia

My friends insisted on going in Jan so I am tagging along and hope to make the most of the trip.

In that case make the most of the many great indoor spaces the city has to offer - the Metropolitan Museum and the Guggenheim, for instance, if you're into art. There's also the shows of course, and tons of great little restaurants and bars!

I was there in Feb this year and had only snow one of the nights which was lovely and one cold day other than that the weather was better than here. Was also there last feb and the one before there and was lucky with the weather on all occasions

Well maybe global warming is kicking in!

I lived in NYC for 8 years and I have to say you were lucky with the weather. Hopefully franmac will be lucky too.

Hope so. Will let you know when I get back. Have never been there so I am looking forward to it, and after all the fuss at Christmas time it will definitely not be a shopping trip.

Haven't had a chance to read through all the replies, but NY gets my vote - no contest.

Having been to both I know why a lot of Irish favour Boston. It's more along the lines of a European city perhaps? But it's not a patch on the BIG APPLE!

You're only going for a w/end? Yikes - it's very little time , but enough to whet your appetite to go back again.

Thanks for all the replies folks-very insightful. After reading all these I reckon we`ll have to visit both cities though on different occasions.

Haven`t booked either yet but will let you know how we get on-looking more like a Spring break at this stage

As promised I have been there and back and had a wonderful trip. Our first two days the temperature was 10 degrees and we were roasting in the warm clothes that we were wearing. We went to Ellis and Liberty Islands on one of those days but to get to Battery we used the open top tour bus and sat on the top, there was a slight mist so the photos of the Lady in the Bay have a haze on them.

THe next day the weather got colder and we had snow that night but the sun came out next day and the roads were dry with snow lying under unmoved cars but the windchill was COLD but we had lots of indoor places to go to ,we did Radio City and museums.

The city was everthing and more than I anticipated and I would definitely go again.