Boston or New York?

Marple

I swear I`ve checked all the key posts on these two cities but still can`t decide which one to go to for a week end this December. Have been to neither city before.

Would really like to get great toy and clothes bargains for the kids and yet want to have time for great restaurants and sight seeing as it`ll be a break for my and the hubby too.

Fares to Boston are cheaper on aerlingus.com by about 300 E for the two of us.

But which one is best for that shopping/sightseeing/good food combo?

Thanks, Sue Ellen

Had tried the search engine too but basically want to know from anyone who`s been to both places which one they`d prefer and specifically which city would be better for a short stay combining sightseeing and shopping.

Supsect, for example, that if I get stuck in New York`s Woodbury Common that I might never get to sightseeing!

But perhaps the temptation to bargain hunt in Boston is just as great!

After being to Boston (but not to NY) and speaking to people who have been to both it sounds like Boston was the winner.

I have been to both and would prefer Boston, Its much more relaxed and you can walk everywhere if you stay in the city centre.

If you never been to either you'll have fun which ever you choose.

I have been to both cities a couple of times. NY is unique and is definitely worth a visit.

If you only have a couple of days I would opt for Boston. You have read the key posts, so I won't rehash what's in those.

There is a fantastic outlet in Kittery. Spend some time in Portsmouth on the way to Kittery - it is a beautiful New England town.

Marion

I found Boston has much more character & history, though I've only spent a short amount of time in NY.

I've been to both and I'm going to both again in November. I prefer New York - there's a much better buzz about the place. Boston is great for shopping but I find it a little bit too relaxing when it comes to nightlife!

New York if you want the hustle and bustle and the Shopping

Boston if you want the laid back & a bit of Shopping

Might be a bit colder also in Boston and to me its more of a summer resort

Been to both and around December NY is the better option as its very dare I say the word this early 'Christmassy', if there is such a word??

There are plenty of shops in downtown Boston Filenes Basement and Macys but NY is better
There is an outlet we went to in Boston which was very good but the one in NY is just as good

There is more to see in NY.If you are going for the first time then go to NY its like been on a movie set as you recognise all the sites

If you're talking outlets, then i'd personally say that Kittery is cheaper but Woodbury Common has a far greater range of shops with better selection - Kittery is a little drab in comparison but with no sales tax, it does help the pocket

i've spent time in both places - love both places but if push came to shove, i'd choose Boston for its sense of place, for its compact size, for Filene's, Faneuil Hall, Harvard Square and tremont st.

... if you win the lotto in the meantime and choose to go there the first week in December, take a short flight to Nantucket for their Christmas Stroll - like stepping back in time to an island long forgotten - great atmosphere and a truly fabulous place

Have been to both, prefer NY. Its an amazing feeling if you've never been there before- immediately on the taxi into the city from the airport you get hit with an odd mixture of familiarity and amazement to actually be in the city you've seen so much on tv and films. Theres loads to do too- and all very centrally- if you just get tickets for the sightseeing buses- you can hop on and off all day long at all the places you'd like to see and the major shops. After NY, Boston was nice, but it didnt have that adrenaline hit! However this was before children, so perhaps that has a bearing.

Vanilla, where did you stay in NY? Hope to go there in November, first time there for me!

Hi maryrose, its quite a few years ago now, but we stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is very central. There was a large group of us travelling to a wedding and I suspect we received a good group discount. We booked via a travel agent, I doubt if there was much booking direct on the internet available at the time!

MaryRose - i'd recommend the Radisson Lexington if you're looking for somewhere that is not going to wreck the bank balance and yet is quite central and has good rooms and a decent hotel lobby and bar - quite often there are good rates to be had either directly on the radisson website or else via hotels.com or one of the other reservation agency websites

... i'd still prefer Boston though ....

Ive been to both, and love both however for December time its New York for me. It has a real buzz about it at christmas time. Enjoy

I have been in NY quite a lot this year ,about 5 times stayed in a few different hotels, by far the best is Crowne plaza especially the 41st floor nicerer bedrooms than the 34th floor I found.

I'm biased as I used to live in NY but I spent a lot of time in Boston as well - I would definitely say New York - the buzz is second to none

efm

I prefer New York - the buzz in the city is great. I recommend the Comfort Inn Manhattan for a good budget (well budget for NY!) hotel, have stayed there twice and have had no complaints and its right bang in the centre of Midtown. I am going again on Tuesday week - can't wait!! It never looses its appeal.

I lived in both, loved both , its a cliche but NY has the BIG CITY feel and Boston is more relaxed so depends on what type of a holiday you want.I loved them both and cant wait to go back.

NYC, no question about it. More to see, more to do, more fun, better shops, more shops, more street life. And surprisingly safe! (Another former resident, so maybe I'm biased. Boston is nice but much tamer. Kind of a bit like Dublin really, so probably not what you're after).

Bring plenty of $$$, the exchange rate will never be this good again!