Boston or New York for a holiday

scuby

Just looking for info from people that have visited Boston and New York. Thinking of heading there in november for a week to ten days, and trying to decide where to go.
Would there be alot to do in Boston, shops, sight seeing etc and what advantages or disadvantages are there between the 2. I know New York would probably have more to do and see but just what to see somewhere different.
cheers

The first time I visited New York, I also visted Boston and travelled between the two by train. I enjoyed the journey as I got to see more than the cities and had some good conversations with strangers on the way.

IIRC the journey time is about 3 hours.

Boston is worth visiting. It is on a more intimate scale than Manhattan.

10 days would be a long time in either of these cities
Ii recon. Having spend quite a bit of time in NYC I would definitely recommend it as somewhere you must see however 5 days is plenty of time to pack it all in. I would suggest that you spend 5 days in NY and 3 in Atlantic city (the Vegas of the east!) I haven't been to Boston but I have heard it is fantastic. A suggestion would be to spend some time in Cape Cod or similar for a few days if you visit Boston.

We were in Boston last December 4th-8th and it was FREEZING with very strong winds and snow which made is impossible to see the city too well and just did some shopping. Would recommend going early November or even October as was told the weather was much better then. Was in NY years ago and felt there was more of a buzz there than Boston and more to see but then again was there in the summer so unfair comparison!

cheers for the info, would be heading around the 13th November, all going well.

I spent 3 months in Boston & have visited NYC twice - am going again in Nov! I love both places but from a "touristy" point of view NYC is one of those citys you have to see! Boston is more intimate & more like Dublin, people are great though. Lots to do & see however NYC is like a different world!! My all time fave place. Try do both, you can get a train or bus - it doesnt cost much. I'd spend more time in NYC........Good luck with it.

any good cheapy hotels out there !
Think i might do a trip between the two cities alright going by the posts.

Hi,

You could do both in Ten days - take a train between cities ? Put say New York in the middle, have 3 days in Boston, 5 in New York and 2 back in Boston, or of course the other way around !!

Having spent a lot of time in the two and given the time of year you are going, I would definetly do NYC rather than Boston.

Dont know if this is classed a cheap hotel in NYC but stayed in the Red Roof Inn (around the corner from Empire state & Macys). Spotlessly clean, good size room, good breakfast included, very friendly staff. Look on - it has great reviews (good and bad) of all hotels in nyc.
Would advise to split your trip between the two. You can get a cheap bus from China town in NYC to China Town in Boston.

Hi there, have visited both Boston and New York and loved both of them. Would advise seeing both within the 10 days. IMHO you should fly into one city, take the Acela Express train and fly back from the other. Probably wont cost any more in flights. There's a Jury's in Boston in the old Police Dept building, didn't stay there myself but I've heard its nice. Boston is small enough to walk around and has a good public transport system. Definitely not to be missed out on a trip to the US of A!!

I wasn't that impressed with Boston as a city when I was there last November, but then again as FOBS says it was so cold you couldn't enjoy going outside for more than a few minutes as the wind was cutting.

Bamhan said:
I wasn't that impressed with Boston as a city when I was there last November, but then again as FOBS says it was so cold you couldn't enjoy going outside for more than a few minutes as the wind was cutting.

On the contrary, we are just back from Boston and had a wonderful time. I suppose the weather does play a part and it was cold the first couple of days but we got used to it quite quickly.

Boston is a great city, with a very European feel and layout. If you are any way into history it is fantastic. Going over to visit Harvard was a real highlight for me. I found the city very safe, clean and the subway or 'T' was brilliant.

thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.Will spend my days planning !

Tallpaul I will fully admit my opinion of the city was greatly influenced by the cold.
It was simply too cold to enjoy being outside for any period of time.
I had been in Cape Cod before in the summer and thought that area of the US was beautiful, maybe a trip back to Boston at a milder time of the year would change my opinion.

I'm travelling into new york and out of boston two weeks later with my boyfriend, and we're spendin 4 nights in ney work and have 3 nights booked 2 nigths later in cape cod. where would be a nice place to visit in that area near new york that might be enjoyable but outside of the city?