boston or new york - buying engagement ring?

M

morano1

Hi Folks
We plan on going to either NY or Boston in November. We are going to get enagaged in either so we know the Diamond District in NY is supposed to be the place to go to shop for rings. Just wondered have any of you bought jewellery in Boston or got engaged over there. Would there be better value for money in Boston or regardless is the Diamon District inNY the place to go any suggestions or recommendations from you would be of great help to us ??
Thanks

Congratulations on being engaged to be engaged! There are previous threads on buying diamonds in New York if you do a search.

Hi
Yes have looked at some of the older threads and good feeback on ny but just wondering if anyone bought engagement ring in Boston any suggestions for jewellers would be great thanks.

I'm also looking for advice on where is the place to get value for money on a diamond.
Herself lost the diamond on her ring a couple of years ago. Anniversary coming up soon so I decided we'll head off for a few days and pick a diamond to be set in her ring. So where is the best place to go? (New York, London or Antwerp)
Also, if I select a diamond how long does it take to be set in a ring? Only plan to be away for 3 or 4 days.

Pretty much any decent jeweller in Ireland will do this for you. Surely the cost of flights/hotel/meals etc. will outweigh any perceived saving on the diamond?

My wife lost one of the diamonds out of her engagement ring and Appleby's off Grafton Street in Dublin were able to replace it. Process took about ten days.

I dont have any advice on where to buy the ring, but to urge you to make sure you buy from a reputeable Jeweller. Buying an engagement ring should be a happy experience and not tainted by problems you may encounter when you return home, its a long way to travel if you have to go back with the ring.

[ check for such details as how long they have been in business and if they belong to any trusted association, have a look at their website and read other buyers’ reviews.
Among many dangers of getting diamonds from an unknown seller are fake and uncertified stones, fracture and line filled stones, colour enhanced stones, fake certificates and “Conflict” or “Blood” diamonds.
I strongly advise you to always ask for a diamond authenticity certificate. Certificates give you information on diamond’s cut and quality, and they also serve as a proof of the diamond’s identity and value. Always trust only internationally recognized diamond certificates such as GIA, HRD or IGI. Beware that there are suppliers who make their own certificates. If you are not sure in the authenticity of the certificate, we recommend you to call the issuing body. But the best way to avoid stress and disappointment is to buy from a well-established company.]