Boston & New York Nov '08

ClodaghK

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of travelling to Boston and New York in Nov 08. Flying to Boston, spending three full days there, then getting the train down to New york and spending another three full days there before flying home from JFK. All in all spending 7 days there (have allowed 1 day for travelling from Boston to New York)

As yet, we have not booked anything, so would really appreciate peoples opinions on whether the above is feasible and if it is where are good central yet cheap, clean(!) places to stay in both cities - dont plan on spending much time in the room!

And also recommendations on things to do and see

Greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi ClodaghK,

We went to Boston & NY in June this year. We spent 5 nights in Boston, NY for 3 nights and back to Boston for one night before flying home from there. My brother and his family live there, thats why I wanted to go back for one night...On hindsight we should have flown out of NY.

We got the bus from Penn station to NY, took about 3 hours and cost something like $35 each. There were 4 of us and no complaints from anyone. They stop for about 15 mins along the way and it is quite comfortable. We enquired about a train but it was well over $100 so no comparison especially as it takes the same amount of time. Also the bus drops you right into Grand Central Station in NY. I have done this once before too and no probs then either. Would def recommend. There are a good few busses each day so times are flexi.

We stayed in Fitzpatricks Grand Central which was very centrally located and close to everything. Great bars, shopping, sight seeing etc. I think it cost us $900 for the 3 nights but was well worth it. you could get a lot better value though in November I'm sure.

Def recommend the helicopter ride in NY. I really enjoyed it. There's so much to do in both cities. Get the tourist maps they give out in hotels and do a little plan for each city on the main places you'd like to see.

Sorry for waffling...you'll have a ball!!

Travelzoo.com have some great bargains for hotels in New York up to December 2008. Also 50% off some Broadway shows.

You can sometimes get cheap flights - Ryanair type prices, from Boston to NY. Flight is only 45mins.

We did something similar over the summer - few days in Washington, New York & San Francisco. Used Tripadvisor for accomadation & things to do. You won't go far wrong there. Found that Expedia was the cheapest then for booking accomadation. See what the top 20 things to do in the city are & off you go.

I am not travelling to New York until Easter and I booked a Marriott at $400 a night. I hope to get a better deal nearer my travel date, the Marriott can be cancelled up to 24hrs beforehand.

I noticed Travelzoo had specials up to December, 20% off the Affinia Hotels and the W Hotel for $249 plus taxes a night while I was searching.

I registered with theatermania.com for 50% off Broadway shows.

Got a Marriott in Boston and Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in New York last June through priceline.com for prices that couldn't be beaten. Before you start bidding on priceline , "name your own price" please do your research on sites like betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to find out exactly how it works and how you can make the best of it.
The Hyatt is actually on the other side of the Hudson and you will have a beautiful view of the NY skyline from your room. PATH train to Manhattan ( 7 mins or so) is next door and hotel rooms are a decent size.

no affiliation

I second the Priceline / betterbidding booking for hotels, have used them successfully in NY a number of times. If the idea of blind booking doesn't suit you, try , where you get the basic amenities listed, adn can often identify which hotel it is most likely to be (again using betterbidding.com).
Last couple of NY trip got me, UN Millenium Plaza with hotwire for $125 per night, Hudson hotel $100 per night, and Wellington hotel $97 with Priceline - and I found them all reasonable hotels and locations. Checking with betterbidding helped give me a price range to start bidding.
Locationwise in NY remember they have a good public transport system, so you are normally only minutes away from most sights.
Enjoy

I third the Priceline option - we did this exact trip on our honeymoon 4 years ago - 4 nights in the Marriott Marquis Times Square (€120 per night) and 3 nights in the Millennium Hotel in Boston right beside Quincy Market for €125 a night. We got the train between NYC & Boston and splurged a bit by upgrading to first class... it was worth it given how much we saved on the hotels.

Train between Boston and NY is expensive and not quick. I booked tickets on www.amtrak.com 2 months in advance and I had to stand for 50% of the trip. The bus service seems a better option.

Flying is no quicker either because you need to get to the airport 2 hours before take off, wait an age for your luggage and then face another trek to your hotel.