Bordeaux or La Rochelle

Happy Girl

Does anybody have any views on the above? Which would be most suitable for family of 4 (2adults + 2kids -ages 10/14). Looking for pool/nice walks, etc. What would temperatures be like end June/early July?

La Rochelle. It's closer (if driving) lovely area and lots of town and beaches up along the coast. Below Bordeaux is a bit boring.

Temps can be high enough around that time of year. 25-30.

La Rochelle without a doubt. D'ont forget to visit Ile de Re(my favourite place ever)

Looks like La Rochelle it may be. What airport would we fly into? Would Nantes be the closest? Is Ryanair my only option for getting to La Rochelle?

Ryanair has direct flights to La Rochelle from Easter on. Great beaches all the way down that coast towards Bordeaux - La Palmyre, St Palais, Royan.

La Rochelle without a doubt. D'ont forget to visit Ile de Re(my favourite place ever)

+1 Ile de Re is wonderful. Visited there last May with our three and had a great time. Will be back. We stayed in the hotel de la Maree which was recommend by another AAMer.
http://www.hoteldelamaree.com/

Ile de Re is wonderful place for watersports, cycling, nature and quaint towns just like you would expect in a Patrick o'Brain novel(Master and commander). It will be expensive in summer though.
[broken link removed]

You can get a bus from the bus station in Place Verdun in La Rochelle to Ile de Re. It cost about €3 each way. You can also get a bus from the airport straight in to Place Verdun for a couple of Euro. There is a fantastic Aquarium in La Rochelle.

THanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Would 2 weeks be too long in either Ile de Re or La Rochelle. Would I be better spending a week in each of them? How far apart are they?

Back