Bordeaux in Sept

monkeyboy

Anyone got any recommendations for this area ?
Ill be there for 2 weeks to catch 2 RWC games and I am driving over to Roscof.
Just booked it all yesterday so from what I can see Bordeaux is very near the beach.
I would like to stay on the beach areas and go to the city when required. we would also love to do some winery tours also.

I want to keep costs down as I have a huge holiier coming up in Oct!

cheers
MB

Arcachon, Biarritz, St Jean de Luz are some of the places by the sea. Have a look on the www.tripsadvisor.com website- lots of info about wineries - one of the frequent posters organises tours and is pretty knowledgable. Try Hotel de la Presse for reasonable 3 star accom smack bang in the centre of Bordeaux.

Couple of threads on this already, here and here. HolidayLettings linked in both do good deals on Villas. Just found out the St. Emmilion festival to mark the start of the harvest is on the 16th in case you're hanging around after the second game. Might see you there!
Leo

Am heading over myself in September to catch the Ireland Bordeaux games.Going to base ourselves in Biarritz.

Bordeaux approx 2 hours away via motorway.

Yeah will be around until the 20/21st or so Id say.

Looking for beach accomodation. Cant wait to be around for vengence on the French!!

About 40 mins south of Bordeaux is a town called Salles with a fantastic hotel called Hotel Domaine du Pont de L'Eyre.

Myself and a friend on a road-trip down to the south of Spain ended up in this hotel late one night after opting out of camping in a roof-tent on a land-rover in the middle of a massive electrical storm after a very long day driving down from Roscoff.

Run by a dutch couple, they took us in quite late that evening while another to$$er in a local campsite was busy being, well, a bit French with us. We missed the kitchen, but they had no qualms about rustling us up some grub on the fly.

On service and friendliness alone, I'd give this hotel a 10/10 and always said if I ever got the chance to recommend them to anyone, I wouldn't think twice about doing so.

Re: Bordeaux in Sept for Rugby World Cup

Just got tickets for the Ireland v Namibia game in Bordeaux for 9th Sept. What would be the best way to get there? Ferry and then drive? We are only going to be staying for a couple of days.

Any ideas on accomodation? Thanks!

Roscoff to Bordeaux is a 6 to 7 hour road trip mostly motor way with great service stations. Biarritz is a further 2 hours.

It depends what kind of accomodation you are looking for. if you want to do self catering loads of leaseback holiday homes in the surrounding areas and along the coast line.
September is regarded as off season -ish so renting an appartment very reasonable.Try or

We have found self catering apart/hotel in Boredeaux for the nights around the match for 65/nite.

We are then staying in between in Lacanau Ocean in a chalet/campsite seas side resort for almost nothing in a 2 bed chalet 200m from beach. ( I think 20e / night or something silly )

www.lesgrandpins.com

Then we head down to Biarritz and San Sebastian. Wing it down there accom wise as its off peak and outside the RWC catchement a bit more. If so inclined there is a Eurpopean surf tour event on between the 2 matches that we plan to visit just outside of San Seb in Zarautz.

Just got tickets for the Ireland v Namibia game in Bordeaux for 9th Sept. What would be the best way to get there? Ferry and then drive? We are only going to be staying for a couple of days.

Hey , have you physically got your tickets yet? Am still waiting on ours...

Red, monkeyboy - thanks for the links, I will check both of them out. I have been doing some research into this and found because we are spending so little time there (over Sat, back Monday) that we can fly to Paris with Ryanair, bus into Porte Maillot, then get TGV to Bordeaux from the station in Paris (yet to find out where that is!)

monkeyboy - I only purchased the tickets today. I had signed up to receive a notification when single tickets go on sale and got that today so logged in and bought the tickets - only 20EUR each so was happy with that! We're in the orange section tho so crammed into a corner in the stadium most likely!

The reservation email I received afterwards said I should receive the tickets 4 weeks prior to the start of the tournament.

TGV can be expensive. Did you price flying Ryanair to Biarritz & hiring a car for duration of stay?

If you are ANYWAY into wine & food I'd make a week of it if I were heading to Bordeaux....you'll be spoilt for choice. La Rochelle on the way down is gorgeous and you can do the whole Angers/Loire trip on the way back (Sancerre, Poully Fume, C de Layon). Also stock up on cheese, foie gras etc etc etc...time to book my annual mini-cruise on Irish Ferries!!!

Firefly.

We priced flying to Biarritz and it was 165 one way (Sat 8th Sept) and no return flights on the Monday. Flying to Paris Beauvais is 30 each way (excluding taxes) with a choice of 3 flight times on the way out and 2 coming back.

Would love to stay for about a week but we are both pretty much maxed on annual leave with our summer holiday booked and also more time off to move into our new house!

Thanks again everyone

Ciara

Would you not consider flying into Carcassonne (3 hour drive), Toulouse (2h 20 drive) or La Rochelle (2h), rather than traipsing all the way from Paris?

We got tix for the Canada -v- Wales match in Nantes on 9th Sept - we're staying in La Baule for our hols so it's only an hour up the road

babaduck - we hadn't considered that as yet. The TGV from Paris takes just over 3 hours and I think it may work out handier as neither of us will have to drive and can relax on the Sat and coming back on the Monday also. I will check out if there are trains from those points that go to Bordeaux. Thanks!

I'm doing the same. Flying to Grenoble and driving to Bordeaux.

I'm booked into the Ibis in Bordeaux for that night and then heading off towards the Med for 10 days after the game!

Just booked our accom yesterday - staying in the Victoria Gardens in Bordeaux for 2 nights - seems pretty central.

We've decided to fly to Paris and get the TGV to Bordeaux.

Anyone know kick off times for the 2 ireland matches in Bordeaux??