Bord Gais - Free Gas

J

JOHNBOB50

Prediciment:

Moved into a newly built house in an estate Aug 06. Got connect to ESB & GAS. Have not received a gas bill since. Called Bord Gais and quoted my meter number, they advised that there is no such meter. Quoted my address and they had a different meter number referenced to it.(This meter is physically attached to a house in the first phase of my estate,and is in that owners name).
Told Bord Gais numerous times over the phone of this, and that in fact i am getting free gas, their response was that i am mad for telling them if i am getting free gas, i pointed out that i didnt want a bill in a years time for thousands. They dont seem to be bothered.Still getting free gas.

What should i do?????? If i move in a years time will i be liable for this????

Write to them but send it through registered mail. Keep your receipt, sit back and relax. If nothing happens (also stop calling and reminding them) , it is definately their loss. They won't have a leg to stand on because it is their error and you have done all you can.

I don't agree with Topsido.

In a Court situation ( unlikely I know but it should be a benchmark for how someone handles a problem like this), the Court would likely find that this was an adminsitrative problem, that Bord Gais were incompetent but that the customer had had the benefit of gas for X number of years and should pay for it. Perhaps some small discount might be given for having to go to such lenths to try and get them to deal with the issue.

Send the letter by registered post, follow up again in writing and in the meantime put aside E150 ish on a monthly basis so that when it does catch up ( and it will) you will have funds in hand.

mf

Cheers for the info, have already started putting money aside as i am expecting a huge bill.

have already started putting money aside as i am expecting a huge bill.
At least your picking up the interest in the mean time (make sure you have it in NR or RD for max gains and flexibility) and BG won't be able to penalise you for an error they made so shouldn't be able to add interest to a bill should it arrive later down the line.

Had a similar situation in wanting to keep money aside to offset a future bill and have it in prize bonds. Easier to keep separate and more interesting (pun intended) than a bank account.

I had this problem with my esb meter where there was a mix up with another address. When I asked ESB to deal with it they advised me that it could go either way for me, i.e. I could either be owed money or could end up owing them some money - luckily I had overpaid but I expect the house which my meter was mixed up with were none to happy when the received thier bill.

Say in two years time they find you have not being billed. Say gas is 15% dearer then. How do you work out how much gas you used at todays prices or will they try and charge you the units used on the date they fix the account problem and read the bill.

Never thought of that one. Very good point.

I'd assume as it is an error by them they couldn't try and charge you the increased price at todays rates, so I'd assume they would either try and a) agree with you to spread the meter reading evenly over the whole period (applying price increases as they came online)
or
b) charge you the lowest rate during that period for the entire reading and take the hit as it was an error by them.

I'm not saying that is what would/will happen. Just having a little guess (all assumptions). I'd also assume they'd go with a) if possible.

Was onto Bord Gais Networks and they said there was a meter mix up and that they would get their maintenance team to call out. Wont hold my breath...........