Bord Gais electricity switching deal until 8th December

STEINER

I was contracted to Airtricity for the last 2 years for electricity. I switched today to Bord Gais for the prices, despite having separate issues with them over my gas boiler servicing.

ex vat per unit = 0.1465
standing charge 122 ex vat per annum

& a €50 Tesco voucher

all ok for my annual usage of ~ 2,400 kWh

Is the date deadline to get people onboard before energia comes to the market in the new year? I might just weight and see...

S

Be careful, I switched from Airtricity to Bord Gáis for the same deal before the 31st August which was the deadline back then. Has taken me till now to get a bill in and just examining it at this moment to find NO DISCOUNT and I am paying a higher rate 16.28cent ex. vat than what I paid to Airtricity and what I am currently paying to Airtricity on another account. Also they are charging me a night storage heating standing charge which Airtricity never did. Will be on to them first thing tomorrow because they can take weeks to answer emails and a couple of days to do a callback.

I also switched from Airtricity to Bord Gais recently and like you Hen I thought something fishy was going on with my a/c ~ namely that I was being charged a completely different rate to what I signed on to.

I have just called them and they clarified - 16.28 less 10% is 14.65 the amount quoted when you switched.

Yes I called also and as I was talking to the girl I noticed the discount. Because it also had 0.00 beside it I did not notice the overall credit before then and yes it is exactly what I signed up for. Not a bad idea doing it this way as at least I will notice when the discount is gone. Can live with the night storage charge as added to the standing charge it is still less then airtricity's standing charge.

Well, having switched over on 28th November, I am still awaiting the €50 Tesco voucher which their advertisement promoted with "Switch to us before 8th December and we'll send you a Tesco €50 Gift Card just in time for Christmas". They list 5 reasons to switch, one is "great customer service".

They are pretty awful, for a business in 2014. I phoned on 7th January and this call was updated on their "system" on the 20th January and it takes 10 days from 20th January for investigation by their Morketting (sic) Department.

Last edited:
Just so all are aware of it, there was a piece on the radio the other day - saying that Energia - who currently offer electricity to business customers - are about to start accepting domestic customers. Most likely, they will start with attractive rates.

Back