Bord Gais Deposit

dieter1

We recently purchased an old house which is connected to gas. The people before us had been connected , so we just changed the name on the account (i.e no break in service to the house)

I set up the account in Jan and set up a direct debit straight away (first payment came out yesterday). Even though I set up a direct debit, Bord Gais are looking for a €200 deposit as security.

They said that I get the deposit back when I close the account. I said that that I could be at least 5-10 years and maybe even more, that I was unhappy to give them €200 now to get it back in 10 years.

Has anyone experienced this? No other company (Eircom, ESB, NTL) looked for this sort of deposit

Hi Dieter,

I recently had the same issue with Bord Gais they charged me €200 when I set up the DD if I didnt set up a DD they were looking for over €400.

I had to pay a €95 'deposit' with FloGas recently despite agreeing to pay by DD. The term is somewhat misleading, as unlike the ESB or others this is only refundable when the account is closed, not when it has been in operation for a certain period e.g. 18 months.

Hi OP,

I moved into my house 2 years ago to the month and was not asked for any deposit from Bord Gas. I simply called and explained I was the new owner and wanted my name on the account. I did not set up any DD either, must be a new policy?
Why dont you call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor for an explanation, might be worth a shot.

BountyHunter.

they charge 400 euro and they reduce this to 200 if you pay by DD.

have a new build. set up direct debit in september. deposit was waived due to direct debit being set up.

Ok, so I ignored the letters, and they just threw it onto my bill. So I owe them €430 in my second month with them.

I spoke with them, and the line at the moment seems to be that you will get it back after 18 successfully paid bills. Thats three years. Still remarkably unhappy with that. I asked them to send me a letter confirming this and to defer my direct debit (got bill yesterday, they wanted to debit my account tuesday may 6). Once I receive the letter confirming when I get it back, I'll pay them.

They seem pretty random with the old deposit thing - When we started renting 2 years ago they demanded a €200 deposit, primarily it seems because the previous tenant had been a bad debtor and we had no history having just moved from the UK. We moved to a new rental property 6 months later and the deposit was credited back to our account without any notice, which was nice. When we bought a property a few months back there was no request for a deposit.

So could it be a history of bad debt on the property?

Strange - I got my first Bord Gais account a couple of months ago and was never asked for a deposit.
Do you own or rent?

Mik

we recently bought it, AFAIK it has not been rented recently (certainly not since 1995). Its nothing to do with the history of the house, its the lack of history that we have with Bord Gais.

Bord Gais are farcical. We moved house in September and arranged to get the gas in (or so we thought). some very nice guys game and did a very tidy job and put the pipe in. However when our installer rang them about the meter he was told we had to ring someone else in BG to get a meter ordered and set up, no one told us that when we were ordering the installation

They've now spent the last 6 months sending us letters looking for €150 because we did not use an authorised installer,(according to them), even though the company we used is listed on their website as being one, and even though the company owner and ourselves have contacted them 4 times and have been told that he is a registered installer with them.

Throw in the 3 letters we got on the one day with a customer survey in them and my overall opinion of BG is extremly low. Curses to monopolies

we recently bought it, AFAIK it has not been rented recently (certainly not since 1995). Its nothing to do with the history of the house, its the lack of history that we have with Bord Gais.

Not too sure if it's lack of your history as this is my first Bord Gais account and I had no issue. You should seek clarifaction as to why you have to pay this deposit and others don't.

Although they may have changed policy recently. I opened my account last Year

Last edited:
yes, it was introduced this year. Hey look, I've no issues with the policy, I have issues with the fact that they cant tell me when I am getting it back!

Back