Booking New York hotel at JFK...

DeKi

Has anybody booked their NYC accom at JFK upon arrival recently? I visited NY about 2 yrs ago and arranged my accom that way...worked out really well... great hotel in Manhattan for "last minute" price. I'm planning another trip in May and just wondering is it worth chancing it again......any suggestions appreciated!!!! Or indeed any tips for visiting New York...Thanks!!!!

No personal experience - but I'd be careful at peak holiday times - there's a shortage of decent hotel rooms in NYC (hence the high prices) so while leaving it 'til the last minute might be fine at off peak times I would hesitate to do so at peak times ... I guess it also depends on how fussy you are about location / room quality too.

my suggestion is book a room at a standard hotel, think radisson / marriott / best wester... that you can book up to 4pm on the day of arrival. make sure its in a price range you are prepared to pay, just in case you need to use it.
Then try some of the bargain sites, like priceline.com (you can mangle an irish address and add a zip and state code), or hotwire.com / easyclick.com. I've used both and gotten great hotels for very decent prices in Midtown NY - but cross reference with betterbidding.com to give you some idea of what you may end up with.
i'd be wary of accommodation on arrival as if you mention to immigration they get all stroppy (had that experience on a package to Florida, where accommodation was advised after landing).

Back