Booking Internal USA flights

niall_C

Hi,
Can you book an internal flight in US from Ireland. I tried to book LA to San Francisco with American Airways and it wouldn't allow me. Are there other airlines that I should try. Also can you tell me if my passport is ok to travel on. It's 9 years old and has lots of Letters and >>>>>>>>symbols on the picture page at the bottom.
cheers
niall

Hi there,

I've booked internal flights in the USA with Delta Airlines, so I assume there is no reason why you should not be able to do this.

As for the passport, as long as it is printed (machine readable) and not handwritten, it will be okay for travel to the US.

Ginger

You can book internal flights in the USA on Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz and pay in $ on your Irish issued crdit card.

I have used both SouthWest and JetBlue and both were excellent value for money.

Re. booking through Orbitz, don't you need a US address?

Try Jet Blue, they fly into oakland -they were excellent. Suthwest are also great. I booked them both from Ireland with no problem using Irish and UK credit cards

Hi,
Can you book an internal flight in US from Ireland. I tried to book LA to San Francisco with American Airways and it wouldn't allow me. Are there other airlines that I should try. Also can you tell me if my passport is ok to travel on. It's 9 years old and has lots of Letters and >>>>>>>>symbols on the picture page at the bottom.
cheers
niall

I was able to book online with United Airlines earlier this year to make the trip from LA to San Francisco without any difficulty using my Irish credit card. Cannot be sure but there were one or two airlines that I tried to book online and you did need a US address.

re CCOVICH posting
I booked flights to the West Coast USA & some internal flights las month with Orbitz using my Irish issued credit card and Irish address. Orbitz had the best deals on the these flights by a mile.

Fair enough- I have an Orbitz account with a US address, and I was still able to book car rental on Orbitz with my Irish credit card.

I was under the impression that to set up an account you needed a US address, but I may be mistaken.

Question re south west ..... which is the best type of fare to go for. There seem to be so many types. Is it possible that if you go for the lowest fare that you may not get a place on the flight??

Re A_B query:

If the Southwest on-line reservation system accepts a low fare booking (i.e. you receive a reservation confirmation by return e-mail) then you a have a confirmed seat on that flight number. You will notice on their site that some of the lowest fares are not available for travel during peak periods - if can travel off peak and are offered a low fare then go for it - its a secure confirmed reservation.

Hi,
cheers
niall

If you're not in any major rush when there then you should rent a car and drive it. Cheaper and it's a beautiful drive down highway 101. Can be done in one day easy but take two and enjoy yourself.

Otherwise all the info above is spot on. Just remember you have 3 airports in the bay area to chose from, Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco!

Try

It seems to allow me to book internal US flights.

We are thinking of flying San Fran to NYC but the Highway 101 route sounds interesting. Can you give me more details like why it is so worthwhile, how long in needed etc.

Thx

Yes it looks like you can book on AmericanAirlines.ie ... it seems to redirect to a version of Lastminute.com done to look up like American Airlines - which is fine (you can't actually book on their main aa.com website unless you're UK or US resident)

SF to NY is a looooong distance ... it's not too far off the distance from Dublin to New York ... It's almost 3,000 miles I think you'd need a week to drive it and that would be a week's fairly hard driving ... if you wanted to do some driving maybe the first part of the route might be the most interesting from a scenery point of view... drive from SF to Salt Lake City or Denver maybe and fly the rest of the way ?

If the drive is from NYC to LA then it is way to long to drive but if its San Fran to LA, which I think is what you said originally, I would 100% say drive - it is the only way to see a beautiful coastline and see Santa Barbara etc.

We flew delta from NYC to San Fran for €120 each one way. I was a little suspicious initally that we only had to give our names - no D.O'B's or passport no's etc... Was fine in the end -flight was half empty so we got to lie down and catch up on some much needed sleep! enjoy!

Back