Booking hotels with Expedia

Shawady

Thinking of booking a hotel with Expedia and was wondering how other people have found them?

Mee too, no problems. Reservation was there and had no trouble checking in!

Have used them in past, got to one hotel and there was no record of my reservation, produced my confirmation email and there were no issues, hotel checked me in immediately. I would use them again but make sure I bring email with me!

I use Venere.com. You can change/cancel you reservation up to 24 hours before check it at no cost. It's really worth a look, site is very user friendly too.

I have used Expedia and had no problems. However, their cancellations policy seem hard. Now, I check prices and hotels on Expedia and book direct on actual hotel site. Allowing for Expedia fees the price is usually similar. Also, the cancellation policies are much clearer and more generous than expedia.(usually full money back if cancelled 24 hrs in advance)

On the actual hotel site your card is often not debited until your stay is over (maybe a deposit is taken) Expedia take the money immediately

Thanks guys for those replies.
I will check out some of the alternative websites you mentioned also.

Sorry if I am dragging up an old thread.
My query relates to expedia directly. I was endeavouring to make a booking with them last night for flight and hotel, they couldn't confirm flight straight away so in fear of not getting the flight we wanted and if booked hotel didn't want to get caught. Booked flight separately and then returned to expedia to book hotel. Problem with first credit card used as it kept hanging on confirming but never confirmed anything- we don't know why as have used it since and credit limit was fine. Used second credit card and it was hanging for about 15-17 mins and then no confirmation page came up laptop froze and we had to exit application.
Decided that nothing was working so booked the exact same hotel on exact same dates with another on line booking company, to discover few hours later they confirmed by email. now have two bookings. Feel expedia web site was not good - had few other issues with it. Have called them and they will no refund. Has anyone else experience of this??
Have also phoned second booking company/hotel and visa to no job but bank did say they will dispute it for me if I wish but it will take time.
Any thoughts/previous similar experiences anyone?
Thanks

I booked a hotel in Singapore, through Expedia, last year. When I checked in I was given a standard room rather than the deluxe room for which I paid an additional €50. I didn't bring a printout of the email but I did access the internet at the hotel and print out the booking and they had no problem giving me the correct room then.

I guess that the moral of the story is if you choose to book through Expedia, bring a printout of the email

Also, I tried to book flights recently on Expedia and when I inputted the credit card details and pressed Confirm, it came up that I needed to ring some number to book; tried again with same result. Ended up booking through lastminute.com without any hassle.

I find Expedia to be very good at honoring their discount commitments. Quite often, when they have some kind of special, there are loopholes in the first few days that allow people to book dozens of nights for free or at a joke price like €1. I booked all of my summer vacation that way and some other short trips. Even long after they had copped on and blocked future use of these vouchers, all my bookings were honored. HotelClub are another site that I found honored all my bookings, no matter how ridiculously cheap.

Just to update - after several days of phone calls, holding and so on the hotel eventually agreed to refund the money to expedia.
Weight off the shoulders I tell you. I think it was just down to who was working. Persistence paid off.

Back