booking hotels in New York... good site

scuby

Hi all,
just to let you know, just booked a hotel in new york for 8 nights starting on the 11-11-2006. for $1341... got it through a website called www.woogo.com
there is a box on the left of the screen to put in your name and phone number for them to call you back if you have a query. i entered my details thinking i would get a call back after a day or two ! but i got a call from guy within 2 mins literally, could not believe it, easy to know they are not based in Ireland.

We had picked out the hotel on the website and just wanted to know what was the easiest way to get from the airport to the hotel and if the bathroom was shared or private etc... he was very good with info and what was in the locality. he booked it there and then over the phone without delay and e-mailed on the booking ref's straight away....
the hotel website is www.pickwickarms.com
it look central to everything, so i will not have to carry the shopping bags for the "boss" for long

So if anyone is looking to book hotels in New York, this looks like a good site..

Also if anyone has stayed here, hope it is ok !! let me know
scuby......

My advice is to check the guest reviews on before booking hotel accommodation, anywhere - never book on the blind !

checked out trip advisor, the hotel got some half decent reviews, but alot more good reviews. everyone said that it is situated near all the shopping areas and near everything. clean and nice staff..... the woogo website was cheaper than the ones quoted on the previous posts
once the hotel is clean, safe and near the shoping areas i'm happy, as we are heading to New York to shop and sight see and not there to stay in a hotel...
cheers for the replys guys

scuby

Woogoo... be warned

We travelled to New York last month, after booking our accomodation on Woogoo for a good rate. The accomodation we booked was just off Broadway and the picture looked fantastic.Like you we were very impressed with the website and the prompt response.. BUT...

we arrived out of the taxi, to the apartment door, where we were met by a skip and builders... the doorman said "Woogoo" and said " ah they didnt tell you that the building is being renovated" Indeed we got no mention at any stage. We went up the 7 flights of stairs as the lifts didnt work from 8am until 7pm at night to the Woogoo office. Once in we asked what the situation was, to be told, yes indeed the building was being totally gutted and renovated and had been for the last 7 months. He did have a room though, it was tiny, scary and not to mention dangerous... he also said that they had to be out of the building by Sat ( Woogoo),we werent departing until Sun. NICE...

3 hours later, we did get alternative accomodation - no discounts and nothing like the pictures on the web. Have emailed them since, and no response..

I would double check it again before you go..

i think it is better to contact the hotel directly, been let down a few times so i now call hotels

Have been looking for a hotel in New York and have used references from friends and verifying them by using reviews on TripAdvisor also.

I have found that by using Aer Lingus' website that the rate is a lot less than that quoted when going to the hotel's website.

Looking for a double room for 5 days in October and went to the website for Wolcott Hotel and was quoted 1065 dollars (841 euros) which is good for a very basic hotel with a good location.
http://www.secure-res.com/res/vn2/checka.asp?hotelid=546&err=TIMEOUT

Went to Aer Lingus Site and entered dates and WOL for Hotel Name and the same hotel was returned for 662 for a double room, same as above. Breakfast is not included but it was not included above when going direct to the hotel.
[broken link removed]

Does anyone know why it would be 180 euros cheaper and has anyone stayed here?

Reviews on TripAdvisor are ok: