Booking accommodation on Greek island

C

charliebrown

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice on booking accommodation on Folegandros in Greece. I found a small hotel where I would like to stay using Google and it seems the only way to book it is with the hotel itself.

They emailed me to say that they have booked the room for me but that I must deposit the full cost of the room (only €65) into their bank account and email them the receipt.

I have never come across this way of doing things before and was wondering if this is above board and if there are any risks? The other accommodation I have booked elsewhere in Greece was through booking websites and only a deposit was taken from my credit card.

Any advice appreciated.

C

Check the reviews of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

It's only €65 so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take the chance.

There are strikes in Greece affecting all workers and.or special groups. ferries are disrupted as are airports, public transport,banks -everything.

A bit of a drag if you get there a day late and the hotelier says -sorry, you didn't turn up . The concept of force majeure may not be appreciated by some greedy hotelier -and I've spent decades dealing with Greek hoteliers, especially on the Greek isles.

I assume you're talking about Sept/Oct? After which time Folegandros becomes an almost deserted rock until April -quite relaxing if the weather doesnt turn....

Check with your bank first though - the transfer might cost you 1/2 as much again.

Back