Booking 1 way tkts USA-IRE from Ireland

hamstring

Hi,

i'm trying to book return flights from Shannon to Boston straddling the new year. I've mainly used the cheapflights.com and ebookers.com search engines and then the actual airline websites themselves. So far i have sourced a return for €904 with Continental. However, if i look at booking 1 way out and 1 way back, i've managed to source 2 flights (the return is the same Continental flight) for €680. (ok the flight out is now via Chicago.... but that doesn't bother me)
My question is this....is there anything to prevent me from booking the one way flight home even though i'm resident here?

Have you got an American Passport? They might have issue with you entering the country on a one way ticket, coming back here on a one way is another story.

I don't think there shouldn't be any issue with this if you're using ebookers / cheapflights ... the only issue might have been if you found the USA-Ireland one way fare on a US site like orbitz.com that only takes US issued credit cards.

You could in theory be asked by immigration for evidence of your return ticket (though I never have) - so you should ensure you have that sorted and have it with you before you go on the Ireland-US flight ... and travelling on oneway tickets I think makes it a little more likely you'll be selected for extra security checks by the TSA

if you are a US passport holder there should be no problem

I don't think it really makes any difference what passport you hold ... yes you should have a return ticket.. but I don't think it makes any difference if it's a separate ticket (and as I say I've never been asked at all ever)

Realistically having a o/w vs. return ticket isn't I would think that big a deal in the overall scheme of things for the INS .. i mean if it was that simple and you wanted to enter the US illegally all you'd have to do is buy a return ticket and not show up for your return flight :)

I don't think it really makes any difference what passport you hold ... yes you should have a return ticket.. but I don't think it makes any difference if it's a separate ticket (and as I say I've never been asked at all ever)

Realistically having a o/w vs. return ticket isn't I would think that big a deal in the overall scheme of things for the INS .. i mean if it was that simple and you wanted to enter the US illegally all you'd have to do is buy a return ticket and not show up for your return flight :)

Yeah fair point - if you do not have the right to legally reside in the US you must be able to show that you will be exiting the USA within 90 days of arriving - I think you should be ok as long as you can prove you will taking that one way flight back in the new year - either by having the ticket or a photocopy or print out of the booking to show immigration authorities on your way out if they request it. I travel to the US about 5-6 times a year and Im aware that since 9/11 immigration and security are very touchy and will have no problems holding you up if the "t"s aren't crossed and "1"s dotted to their satisfaction.

One way tickets seem to trigger the random security check flag in the US, based on personal experience. When I flew home on a one way I got an unbelievable amount of hassle - two seperate bag searches in the same airport. And another in JFK. It was a complete nightmare, I'd price that in.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.
Yeah, my plan will be to have purchase both one way portions of the trip online here before departing and have the USA-home ticket with me when going through Immig in Shannon on the way out.

hamstring, did you have any problems using the 2 one way tickets to Boston?

I just booked it this way for my Mam and her friends and saved them about €50 each. Both flights were bought with Aer Lingus so I'm hoping that as long as they have proof that they are coming back they shouldn't have any problems.

I don't think BCP is going to have a problem with your 2 one way tickets (as long as you have the leaving US ticket booked before you enter).

I think the TSA is going to have a problem and you might get a SSSS on your boarding pass.

But that itself is not too bad, just wear clean underwear because that might mean that you have to do the full mounty....

Well seriously, SSSS just means that you get a Secondary Security Screening which as DirtyH2O points out is a lot of hassle. It usualy consists out of being taken to another area and given a hand search of both yourself and your carry on. Also you checked bags might be handsearched so I strongly suggest to use an TSA approved lock.

Also be sure they punch your boarding pass after security (or mark it) because otherwise you migth get another search before being allowed on board the aircraft.

Welcome to the land of the free....

SSSS can happen for a whole of reasons, if you TSA score is to low than you get one.

One-Way tickets, tickets paid in cash, no valid picture ID, unusualy travel routes and a whole lot of other reasons.

But one way ticket is most likely to give you an SSSS because on 9/11 one way's were used.

TSA score? I am intrigued.

I would have thought that no valid picture ID would be a case of not being allowed anywhere near the aircraft. I didn't think you could check in without picture ID? Even prior to 9/11 picture ID was always required.

Thanks for the feedback, you have got me worried now.

I might try ringing Aer Lingus or the US Embassy and ask them for advice. Hopefully Aer Lingus can make a note of the second ref: number in the details they give to the US immigration.

The saving was too good to miss. The return flight cost €392 and the 2 one ways cost a total of €343. At the moment my Mam and her friends are delighted with the price but I can't see them being too happy when I tell them they might strip searched!

I just thought I would update this thread. My Mam and her friends sailed through immigration in Dublin on their 2 one way tickets last week. They left Dublin last Friday for Boston and when she phoned home she said no one said anything to them. She is due home tomorrow and I will know more then but so far it didn't flag any extra security checks and I doubt she will have any trouble leaving the States.

Generally the issues with one way tickets show up when leaving the USA. Watch out for the 4 S (SSSS on the boarding card) treatment from the TSA.

Back